Old 03-05-05, 07:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

What is the limit to the size of a file that can be sent over the internet...also, what determines the limit.

Old 03-06-05, 05:22 AM
NND
Visiting Guest
E-mail limits

E-mail size limits are set by the provider.

Most ISPs now support 5Mb or larger.
There was a day when 2MB was standard, but as bandwidth has improved, and drives are getting larger the limits have been increased.

Each company usually sets it's own limits on how large attachments can be.
My last company had 10MB attachment limits.

It all comes down to the administrators settings. Most public mail systems such as MSN, Yahoo, and what not will tell you the limit in fine print somewhere.

NND

Old 03-06-05, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The Internet itself has no size restrictions, as was posted previously. If your question is work related, many companies will set limits based upon your position in the company. I used to work for a company that would give entry level employees a 1MB limit. Upon promotion to the next level it would go to 2MB, then 5MB, then 10MB, then 20MB. I guess their point was as your responsibility grows you might need to receive larger files. A phone call to your "Help Desk" call can sometimes get your limit set higher, though you may need your supervisor's permission.

On the personal side.... I have an account with Comcast that limits your storage and reception capabilities to 10GB per account... And you can have several accounts. Different providers allow different sizes and restrictions... Check with yours to be sure...

Hope this helps...

Old 03-06-05, 12:11 PM
C
Unless the recipient has some limitation, there is no practical limit to how large a file can be sent over the internet. The amount of bandwidth and the time to use it are the only real limits. I have downloaded and uploaded single files of over 700 MB before.

If the recipient is a mailbox or server space somewhere, there may be limitations as stated above.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-05, 12:35 PM
J

Thanks for your rapid replys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: