recycle bin disappeared from win xp.

Old 03-09-05, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy recycle bin disappeared from win xp.

Please help I was cleaning files and something happened. The recycle bin is gone and my computer is changed a lot. Not for the beter. I have searched hours trying to find the bin Please help. I have presario 900 with win xp. I'm hoping when i find the missing bin I will be able to undo changes. I can not seem to restore to the previous day because i guess I have no restore points. Thanks.

also when I click start all programs it is empty. there should be about 20 items there

and when I go to c windows system its empty what the hell did i do
I need sleep ive been at this for four hours any help really apreciated thanks

and Ive tries deleting many things since to see if iyt would re appear but it did not
i ALSO REBOOTED A FEW TIMES NO HELP

THANK YOU ALL. I Finally found the recycle bin and was able to restore all items. Now i can start it all over again. what i had removed was spyware that started all this trouble, then I went over board and removed more that i thought I did not need. I still have problems to resolve but at leaset I have back the bin. Thanks Again everyone.

Last edited by katiefran; 03-10-05 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
You must have a recovery disk for your computer.
Just reinstall
Cheers

pg

Old 03-10-05, 05:55 AM
A
Unfortunately, system restore would probably not help your situation anyway. It works for some minor changes in your system, buy if you were cleaning out files and deleting a lot of stuff, that may be lost forever anyway.

I don't know what your level of familiarity is with computers so can you tell us how you were going about cleaning files? What were you deleting and how?

I can't honestly imagine how all of your Windows system files got erased, but you can still manage to boot into Windows. They must still be there.

You can try a "repair" re-install of WinXP if you really don't want to do a full format/clean install. When you put in your recovery disk, it will give you the option of a full re-install, or a repair that will keep all of your files and programs intact. In a situation like this, I would recommend a full system recovery (format/clean install), but you would want to make sure to copy any important files that you want to save to a CD/DVD (music, photographs, important documents, emails, etc.).

Old 03-10-05, 06:49 AM
M
Post Restore Recycle bin

Here is a procedure that has worked for me in the past: IMPORTANT: Method 2 is for experienced users only and can render your windows XP installation unstartable requiring a new reload!

Method #1:

1. Right-click an empty area of your desktop
2. Select Properties
3. Click the Desktop tab
4. Click the Customize button
5. Click Restore Default
6. Exit all windows and restart your computer

Method #2:

Note: Be sure to make a backup copy of your registry prior to making any changes. Doing
anything wrong in the registry can make your system unbootable so follow these steps
with great care or have someone who is a computer expert do this for you.

Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

Hold the mouse on NameSpace and right-click once. From the resulting menu, select Edit>> New>> Key

Copy and Paste the following Key code (including the brackets):

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Press Enter on your keyboard, exit the registry editor and restart your system.

I also have a registry file you can click on that is supposed to fix this problem with just one click.

Again, I would not do this unless you have decided that a reload is necessary. If
this does not work a reload will be the only fix. Email me for the file.

Good Luck

Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: