Help Restoring Windows Vista Laptop

Old 10-09-10, 10:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Restoring Windows Vista Laptop

I recently was having alot of issues with my Toshiba laptop with windows vista on it. I made the recovery discs and backed up the data from my laptop onto a cd through system backup. Now I have my computer to the point it was when I purchased it but cannot get any of the files that I backed up to show when I go to restore from a previous backup. The only way it lets me access the data is if I say its data from a different computer but then it doesnt show up any of my pictures or anything. I called Toshiba before dumping this and they said all my itunes music and documents would have been saved. I sure hope I didn't lose all that. Help Please!!!

Old 10-10-10, 08:06 AM
M
back up and sub accounts

when you made your back up, was the account the standard administrators account?
or another sub account?

the reason i ask is because when using the system back up it will back up to the account that is currently active if you had a sub account or changed the named of the administrators account, it will back it up under that name and restore under that name.

the reason you cannot see the back the default restore account might be different from the backed up account and windows will protect sub accounts by default by hiding them or locking them out until you log in to the other account

you can go into windows explorer, , go t the C drive, go to users, and see how many accounts you have ( though it might now show the other sub accounts if any ) you will find you can only access the current account.

you can reset the sub account with parent / child permissions and then have full access to sub account and get all you data back ( copied over or moved over ) to the main account.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Old 10-10-10, 08:18 AM
R
I was under the administrators account which is my moms and I have a sub account for my dad. In simplified terms, how do I do this?

Old 10-10-10, 07:14 PM
M
check the microsoft link

check the link posted i n my previous message, it not too complicated but it should allow you to access the other backed up account

Old 10-11-10, 02:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My mother has Vista and I had to do a restore last year - I ran the backup to a flash drive and then was able to copy and paste back

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: