Excel 97 Read Only error

Old 03-26-05, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Excel 97 Read Only error

xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read
only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or the
server the document is stored on may or may not be responding. Cancel /
Retry"

I got this after I saved a file then went back later to retreive it. I cannot access the file at all .I click on the short cut on my desktop and this error message keeps popping up. Anyone with any suggetions?
I also went directly to the D: drive where it is supposedly stored to no avail .. the same error message!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-05, 08:22 PM
Right click on the file name in my computer and check to see if it is read only. If so, change the attribute by unchecking the read only box. See if this helps.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-05, 08:19 AM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
The shortcut onthe desktop may not point to file aymore if it was moved. Use the search option to find the actual file not the shortcut.

Old 04-03-05, 04:30 AM
found

I found it ,under a file the computer named FOUND 00000006 . The computer had lost power during my accessing of the spreadsheet and its information. When it crashed it must have taken the info and stored it and gave it its own name. Not really sure how it worked , but it was there , just not under its original name. ???????? If it happens to someone else go looking for files that look suspicious and click on them ,you might find what you thought you lost. THANKS

Old 04-03-05, 06:53 AM
What you found was a recovered version of the file. When windows does a recovery (sometimes after a startup after a power failure), it stores files it finds that it thinks are important under a found name.