Coded Files???

Old 03-28-05, 10:17 PM
Arrow Coded Files???

i do not know if anyone can help, but i saved some Microsoft Windows files on CD through Roxio CD creator 6, because my computer was crashing, and I was reformating the hard drive. Well, before I crashed my pc, i double checked to see if the files were on the disc and they were. Well now, i try the disc, and it says there is nothing on it....I EXPLORE it and it shows nothing, but the disc is for sure burned (you can tell by looking at it, and in rosio, it shows there is some kind of files that are taking up space on the disc). Well I tried to open it in MS Word, but it gives me over 1500 pages of Squares, numbers, and wierd looking letters. I know this is the info I need, but I can't get to it. MS Word is the only program that will let me get far enough to see encrypted codes. All the others I tried (notepad, word pad....etc) Freeze up the PC before it can even get through the Encryptions. Can anyone help me figure out how to UNENCRYPT this to get my files back? they are very important, and I really need them. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-05, 05:55 AM
Did you use the Windows back up program to save the files or did you drag and drop them in the original format to the CD?

Old 03-29-05, 07:03 AM
Have you reinstalled the software you burned the CD with? I'm guessing you wrote the disk with a packet writing utility such as DirectCD.

If you haven't done it, reinstall the Roxio software and then try reading the disk again.

Old 03-29-05, 07:11 AM
Yes all the software has been reinstalled, but to no luck

Old 03-29-05, 08:28 AM
A few brainstorming questions:
1. Is it a CD-R or a CD-RW disk?
2. When you have to format the disk before you wrote it?
3. Did you actually have to go into Roxio to write the disk, or just drag and drop from the desktop/from explorer?
4. Are you trying to read the disk with the same drive it was created with, or with another drive?

BTW: I could've chosen a very similar username. Amanda & I have been married almost 3.5 years and have our first child on the way.

Old 03-29-05, 08:33 AM
A few brainstorming questions:
1. Is it a CD-R or a CD-RW disk?--------It is a CD-R
2. When you have to format the disk before you wrote it?---No just recorded
3. Did you actually have to go into Roxio to write the disk, or just drag and drop from the desktop/from explorer?----I did it straight from or in Roxio
4. Are you trying to read the disk with the same drive it was created with, or with another drive?----Same exact drive, and same software

BTW: I could've chosen a very similar username. Amanda & I have been married almost 3.5 years and have our first child on the way.----------That is cool....We have been married now for almost 5 years and have an 18 month old beautiful baby girl. You will love the joy that they bring, i promise you.

Old 03-29-05, 10:50 AM
When you look at the disk in Roxio, does it see just one file, a few files, or lots of files? It almost sounds like the files were put into one or a few (perhaps compressed) files.

As I recall, the full Roxio package has a backup utility built into it. Perhaps you used this? If so, you will need to use the corresponding restore utility to get the files back.

I'm not fully convinced on this as I would think Explorer would at least see files on this disk...perhaps they are hidden files. Right click on the drive and hit properties...does it show 0 for used space?

Old 03-29-05, 12:14 PM
No it does not show any files. The only way i see something on the disc, is I go into disk information on the Roxio screen and see the ISO file. Then I downloaded the ISO file, and can't get anything out of it. I did not use the restore at all. Until this point, I did not know anything about it, plus would it have worked anyways if I did use it whan I reformated the hard drive and windows from scratch/ Thanks

Old 03-29-05, 12:21 PM
AN ISO is an image of a complete CD, Windows cannot open it on it's own. In order to open it without burning it to a CD you need an ISO editing program such as ISO Buster. Best option is to run Roxie, select the option to burn an image to cd, and direct it to the ISO file.

Old 03-29-05, 12:22 PM
Out of curiosity, how big is the ISO file it creates?

Old 03-29-05, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Davejb
AN ISO is an image of a complete CD, Windows cannot open it on it's own. In order to open it without burning it to a CD you need an ISO editing program such as ISO Buster. Best option is to run Roxie, select the option to burn an image to cd, and direct it to the ISO file.

I was thinking that at first too, but then I realized that the ISO file he is describing was created by Roxio when he went to Disk Information, so it is just an ISO image of the CD in question. Burning this ISO to CD will just create a copy of this CD.

Old 03-29-05, 12:26 PM
288,320kb................

Old 03-29-05, 12:28 PM
Yeah, i did that already, and just got a spitting image of the CD I copied.............

Old 03-29-05, 11:17 PM
tae
do you remember what files they were, or more specifically, what type files they were? were they graphics, or songs, or games? my thought is that the software that you had on the computer before allowed you to see them, and maybe that software is not on there now.

Old 03-30-05, 03:05 AM
Lightbulb Opening ISO image

I have used ISO Commander to extract files from ISO images. Do a google search to find
a free download.

Old 03-30-05, 06:57 PM
Hey guys, I did the search for ISO Commander, and IT WORKED. I got my files back THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! You all have been a big help to me and I appreciate it. Take care

Old 03-30-05, 07:19 PM
EXCELLENT! I'm gonna have to give that software a try sometime!