Question about Firefox

Old 03-29-05, 12:48 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Firefox....Solved

Problem solved....see post below

I just loaded Firefox on my laptop and can't get a broadband internet connection to work. It's a Toshiba, P4, 1.8, running XP Home. I have a broadband connection for when I'm at home, plus a seperate dialup account for when I'm traveling. IE has no trouble running either connection. When I try to run Firefox, it tries to run the dialup connection, instead of the broadband. I've changed the connection settings to "Always connected to the internet", but it tries the dialup and gives a windows 680 error. I currently have the firewall turned off, so it's not blocking the new program.

Firefox runs great on my desktop broadband.

Any suggestions?

Nashcat

Last edited by nashcat; 04-02-05 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 03-29-05, 01:15 PM
C
Where exactly are you selecting the setting "Always connected to the internet"?

Check this setting:
In the Control Panel, go to Internet Properties, then to the connections tab.
Under Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings, select "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" for your dial up connection.

You might also try this setting in Firefox: Tools-->Options-->General-->Connection Settings-->Auto-Detect Proxy Settings for this network.

Good luck and post back with your results!

Old 03-31-05, 01:40 AM
N
Thanks for the suggestions. I have already tried Auto-Detect Proxy, which didn't work. I don't remember seeing the "Dial whenever a network connection is not present", but I'll try that and see if it helps. I'll let you know if that works.

I may try uninstalling my dialup service to see if that helps. I can always reinstall it.

Nashcat

Old 04-01-05, 02:17 AM
N
It still doesn't work. I checked the box "Dial whenever a network connection is not present", so now it isn't trying to dial out. I've turned off my firewall, but I wasn't even getting the program blocked message. What I don't understand is the Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, both run fine on the computer. Both programs will connect either through broadband or through my dial up.

I have deleted my dial up service and then deleted and reinstalled Firefox to see if it was detecting the dialup during install, but this didn't help either.

I'm not giving up yet, but I'm running out of settings to try.

Nashcat

Old 04-01-05, 08:02 AM
C
In your first message you said:

I've changed the connection settings to "Always connected to the internet"

I'm still unclear on where this setting was. Can you clarify that?

Old 04-01-05, 08:08 AM
C
I'm pretty much stumped on this since you say IE and Netscape both work on the same PC.

You may want to go over to the Mozilla Firefox Support Forums and search for an answer or post a question there. If you do, post back a link to your thread there so we can learn.

Old 04-01-05, 11:47 AM
N
My wording was a little off, on my first post. It says "Direct connection to the internet", instead of "Always connected to the internet". The setting is in Firefox/Tools/Options/General/Connection/Connection Settings. I've tried auto detect proxy with no sucess. I'll try some other forums and will let you know if I get it fixed. I don't understand what it could be since two other browsers work and the settings are the same as I use on my desktop.

Thanks,

Nashcat

Old 04-02-05, 12:57 PM
N
Well, I finally solved the problem with Firefox on my laptop. The problem was caused by Zone Alarm. Although I had Zone Alarm shutdown, it would not allow the connection by Firefox. I had already gone into the settings of ZA and added Firefox to the list of programs that are permitted to access the internet, but it would not let it connect. The solution was to have ZA running and active and then launch Firefox. THEN....ZA would show a popup that it was trying to access the internet, and allow me to check the box to allow it. After that it was fine.

From information that I found on other forums, if you have run Zone Alarm in the past, it will not allow new programs to access the internet, even if ZA is not running. You have to run ZA and change the settings while it is active.

Thanks,
Nashcat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: