External hard drives

Old 04-01-05, 06:19 AM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
External hard drives

I bought a new Sony high dolar computer with 120 gigabites on the hard drive about a year ago. I now find that after putting 14 gigs of info on it, drive C is too full to defrag, while Drive D is empty, but appears to be dedicated to movies, and it gets the greater portion of space. I called the store, and they told me that is one of Sony's quirks. They split C drive into C and D, but D gets the vast majority of the drive, and it is dedicated to movies. They also tell me that I can buy additional software to recombine C & D into one drive. I asked about buying a separate external hard drive, and they said it would work off my desk top and current programming. All I would need to do is plug it into the USB port and save to the new drive. My question is: If I move that hard drive from computer to computer, will I be able to access and use it on them? Will I find that I need additional software to take along with the external hard drive? If I have files in Lotus (or something else) and the other computer does not have Lotus on it, will I have a problem? Will I need to duplicate my "Program Files" on the external drive?

W.A. McCormick

Old 04-01-05, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as each computer you want to use it on has USB and a compatible operating system (usually Windows 98SE or higher) then it will work as you expect, it's very likely you will need to have a driver disk to install it on the older OS's. On many a customers Sony I have resized the drive partitions to make the primary larger as the secondary is usually just wasted space.

Old 04-01-05, 08:38 AM
C
Partition Magic is probably the software they were referring to. I've seen it on reputable sites for less than $20, so long as you don't care about having the latest version. Version 7.0 works with XP, according to what I've read.

I've never used the software myself, but I've heard it works well.

I personally like my hard drive partitioned, but when a PC is sold with a partitioned drive, it needs to be explained to the purchaser why the drive is divided, and how to make good use of it. That seldom happens though.

Them saying that D is "dedicated to movies" makes little sense. Maybe that is what they wanted you to use it for, but drive space is drive space...I see no reason you can't move data over to D and store it there.

On having data on a external drive...If the PC you have the drive on has Lotus on it, you should be able to open those files. When you put it on another PC without Lotus, you probably won't be able to open them. Best way around that is to save the files in a generic format that can be read in other programs. Not knowing which Lotus product you are referring to, that's as specific as I can get.

Old 04-01-05, 09:19 AM
Forgot to address the lotus issue, of course you cannot open lotus files on a PC that does not have Lotus installed, just as you cannot open powerpoint presentaions on a PC without powerpoint installed, or excel, or access files, the list goes on. No different from any other specialized software.

Installing Lotus on the external drive will get you knowhere ass well, it will run in the machine from which you installed it, but will not run when the drive is plugged into another PC.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: