Network activity icon missing??..

Old 04-03-05, 05:42 PM
Network activity icon missing??..

Hello to all,
Ever since I switched to DSL from dial-up, the "network activity" icon in the quick launch taskbar is missing (the little "blinking monitors" icon)...

Is there any way to get this back?..Will I be able to use it to not only view activity, but log off from the net as well??

SBC sends me to a site that shows activity, or connection speed and details, and allows me to go offline there, but it's very inconvenient...In my dial-up days, all I had to do was right click the "monitors" icon and get offline from there..

I use Win98SE and Firefox as my (primary) browser...

Thanks for all replies,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-05, 05:49 PM
The trouble with a broadband connection is that it is always on. The only way to disconnect the connection is to turn off the DSL mode, or disconnect the cable.

Old 04-03-05, 06:26 PM
Or, go to the SBC site that shows me my connection info, and choose "Disconnect"...

Wish I could use an icon for this instead...

Thanks Racraft,
M-

Old 04-04-05, 04:29 AM
You are confusing your network connection with your Internet connection. They are NOT the same.

When you go to SBC and disconnect, you are turning off your Internet connection. However, your computer network connection remains open and connected to your router or modem. There is a difference.

Old 04-04-05, 04:57 AM
This happened to me once before. I like to keep that little icon in my taskbar so I can tell if my connection is working right.

I'm on Win2000 now as I type this, so the process might be different for your OS, but you should be able to figure it out.

Go to "Control Panel" and choose "Network Connections". Then right click your LAN connection and choose "Properties". There's a little checkbox at the bottom of the Properties box that says "Show icon in taskbar when connected". Check that box and hit "OK". VOILA! - you'll have your little monitor icon back .

Edit: You can "disable" from that icon, but it disables all LAN activity. You cannot disconnect just your internet connection, like back in the days of dial-up.

Old 04-04-05, 06:14 AM
Hmmm...still can't get it to work...I can highlight my LAN connection just by clicking on it, I click properties, and a bunch of tabs come up...But none that have the "show icon" spot to check....

Any other suggestions for this in Win98SE??

Thanks,
Matt

Old 04-04-05, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 34
Win98se doesn't have a show icon for network cards, only for dial-up. The SBC webpage that the OP is refering to is hosted by an embedded webserver on the DSL modem. Disconnecting from that page actually drops the PPPoE connection, so effectively disconnects from the internet.

You should use the SBC webpage when you want to disconnect or just turn the power off on your DSL modem.

Old 04-05-05, 01:33 PM
Hey, ibpooks, thanks for the info....I hate to keep dragging this rather trivial annoyance out...But, another question....

A friend uses 98SE also...and SBC as his DSL provider...just like me...and he has the activity icon in HIS quick launch bar...What gives??

The only thing we can come up with is this...When he first got SBC DSL around a year and a half ago, he had to install a card into one of the PCI slots (I think) to set up.....When I got SBC DSL ,a few months ago, all I had to do was install software from the disc that was included in the "package" SBC sent me...and go buy a USB/Ethernet connector, and I was set to go...

Does this "setup" difference matter as far as viewing the icon...

Just curious, and thanks for the replies..

Matt

Old 04-05-05, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 34
The USB interface is definately it. Those adapters aren't really ethernet cards, they just work like them, so I wouldn't expect the same functionallity as a PCI card.