Computer Experts Needed

Old 04-08-05, 08:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer Experts Needed

Ok heres the deal I have HP 544n with a ASUS P4G533 motherboard and I have an new NEC ND-3520A DVD RW Drive. Heres the problem I bought the drive on NewEgg.com and it came with no cables and or software,manual. I looked on the internet and cannot seem to find the manaul so I have no clue how to install it or if it will even fit my computer. So my question is could someone point me in the right direction on how to install this and what cables I need for this, Im pretty sure I need an IDE cable but I really don't know what will fit on my motherboard. Thanks in advance for all your help

Old 04-08-05, 08:41 AM
mike_s104
Visiting Guest
you bought the OEM drive. if you have an empty 5 1/4" external bay, it will physically fit into the case. if you have no more then 3 hard drives and optical drives (any combination of them) it will work in you PC.

I was going to type the directions but this is a better solution.

go to http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/Zip/DVDRW/English.zip

it is NOT the manual for your drive but all EIDE drives are about the same to install. it is going to be a 843k download so if you are on dialup it may take a few mins. it will be a zip file so you will need to get an app like WinZip, www.winzip.com . the file in the zip will be a PDF. you will need Adobe Reader, http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html .

hope this helps...

Old 04-08-05, 09:03 AM
G
Well I have a Dvd-Rom and CdRW with a 40GB HD. Well I have 2 options Im either going to have to remove the DVD drive and use the DVDRW to play them as well, or Im going buy a new case because my stock case has 2 bays. What do you think I should? thanks for the help.

Old 04-08-05, 10:28 AM
mike_s104
Visiting Guest
I would replace the CDR since the DVDRW will also burn CDR/Ws. it should also play DVDs. so it's whatever one you'd like to retire.

just not the jumper setting on the one you remove.

Old 04-08-05, 10:37 AM
A
I wouldn't recommend putting the DVD drive on the same channel as your hard drive. If those are the only 3 IDE devices you have, than your two optical drives are most likely on the same channel, and your hard disk is on it's own channel. If you look at the cabling, you can tell what's on each channel by looking at which devices are physically connected on one cable.

I would recommend ditching either one of your current optical drives (doesn't really matter which, I would keep the newest/fastest one), and replacing it with your new DVD writer. Having three optical drives is useless overkill in most people's cases.

Get an 80 pin IDE cable from your local computer store (they're very cheap). The blue plug is the end that plugs into your motherboard. The other two will connect to the two optical drives. Put your new DVD writer on the last plug, and your spare optical drive on the middle plug.

You will have to make sure that your new drive has it's jumper set for "MASTER" and the spare drive has the jumper set for "SLAVE". You will find these jumpers somewhere on the back of the drive, and they may or may not be labeled as to the correct "Master/Slave" jumper configurations. If they're not labeled, you will have to find a manual for the drive.

Here's the Quick Start guide for your NEC drive. Should help, as it has jumper settings, etc:
http://support.necsam.com/OEM/cd-rom...startguide.pdf

I have heard good things about that drive. A nice choice

Old 04-08-05, 10:37 AM
G
"just not the jumper setting on the one you remove" Now you lost me what do you mean by that?

Old 04-08-05, 10:44 AM
mike_s104
Visiting Guest
it really should not matter where you place the drive and what chain it's on anymore. as far as the 80wire (only has 40pins, 2 wires per pin) EIDE cable, it can help the speed.

once you select a drive to remove, carefully remove it and look at the rear of the drive. make note of where there jumper is on the old drive. place the jumper of the NEC in the same position as the old. install it and all should be fine.

Old 04-08-05, 10:51 AM
A
Originally Posted by mike_s104
it really should not matter where you place the drive and what chain it's on anymore.
That's debatable.

From tests I've seen, and from my own personal experience, it can and does affect transfer speeds. Other regulars here would disagree with me, though.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have to do it, then you shouldn't. If someone designed a new computer for me, and it had the optical drives on the same channel as my hard drives, I would consider it poor system design .

Edit: That is just my opinion, of course .

Old 04-08-05, 10:56 AM
mike_s104
Visiting Guest
very true...that's the way I have mine BUT, if someone is new to installing hardware, it may be confusing and discourage them from wanting to install it.

Old 04-08-05, 11:11 AM
A
Either case, I think we can agree that he should ditch the CDR

Old 04-08-05, 11:50 PM
G
Thanks for all your help guys it was very easy to do thanks to you. I took your advice and replaced the CDRW drive and got an 80 pin cable hooked it up and WALA no problems what so ever. Now I have to and find some good burning software, I think Im going to go and find DVD X or DVD Shrink. Thanks again for all the help you guys are awesome

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: