USB Install problem

Old 04-13-05, 06:15 PM
C
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
USB Install problem

Win 98 SE
intel celeron @ 400 mHz

I've been trying to activate USB ports on an older built-from-parts PC. I enabled USB capability in CMOS but when I jack a USB flash drive into a port Win 98 notes new hardware and attempts to install software for the USB to ATAPI adapter. Win 98 hangs at this point- I've let it sit for as long as 10 minutes but the install never completes.

In Control Panel I've removed and attempted to re-install the driver, but it always hangs.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 08:51 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you installing the drivers before connecting the USB device? If not, do that. If you connect the device before installing the drivers, the installation usually borks.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-05, 10:19 AM
R
You will also need drivers from the manufacturer, since the technology is newer than Windows 98.

Old 04-15-05, 11:05 AM
R
RLLD
Visiting Guest
Agree with responses from above, would also like to add that 98 was notoriously flaky with regard to USB connectivity.

Old 04-18-05, 08:16 AM
C
Still ongoing

Thanks, all, for your replies. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner: I was visiting Mom and trying to get her Win98 PC back up to speed, but did not have WWW access.

I also have more info: on boot I get a "CMOS battery low" message. I replaced the CMOS battery, entered CMOS, and updated the time / date and enabled the USB ports. When I reboot immediately after that, the CMOS settings are fine, but the settings do not last overnight, for instance- the low battery error message appears.

When I change CMOS settings I looked at the IRQ list and noticed there is a conflicting entry on several IRQs, including the one for USB: "IRQ holder for PCI steering".

I suspect the CMOS clock is bad somehow, since the battery is not the problem, and that the IRQ conflict is preventing the USB from installing properly, and that these two are interconnected somehow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-05, 08:52 AM
A
Could be caused by an IRQ conflict. Are these USB ports on an add-on card, or built in to the motherboard?

If it's an add-on card, you can try moving it to another PCI slot (if available). You can also troubleshoot by removing any other non-essential PCI cards (sound card, modem, etc.). Once the other cards are removed, try your USB devices again. This can remove potential conflicts. Just don't remove your video card (obviously) or an IDE add-on card (if your boot drive is connected to it, which is unlikely).

Old 04-18-05, 09:14 AM
C
Thanks, Dave

Thanks- what are your thoughts on the interconnected-ness of the CMOS clock problem and the IRQ conflict?

Old 04-18-05, 09:40 PM
A
I would say unlikely. Could be a bad board. Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure the battery you put in was brand new?

Old 04-19-05, 03:22 AM
C
I thought of that~~

>>are you sure the battery you put in was brand new?

I did consider that: the battery fits in the socket positive side up and positive side down, so I tried it both ways with the same result. I bought the battery new, but tested it anyway and found it had a charge. I'm stumped.