Audio died!

Old 04-25-05, 07:57 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Audio died!

I completely lost my audio. How do I get it back?

Using an old Gateway G6-350 w/W98

While trying to play a CD (Tim Watson and Black Creek), I got no sound and the audio kept defaulting to RealPlayer and wouldn't allow me off the "burn disk". I don't have a burner. So, I deleted RealPlayer.

Now, trying to play a CD, I get absolutely no sound. The computer indicates that the CD is playing ... green volume bars on screen and running time on disk counter. Checked connects ... seem to be OK. Volume control is up. Checked device manager and no yellow.

What did I do and how do I correct the problem. Is it still looking for RealPlayer as a default although it's deleted? If that's the problem, how do I redirect?

Old 04-25-05, 02:45 PM
C
Windows 98 came with a CD Player. You probably will have to reinstall that built-in player to get w98 to use it as the default player again.

In Control Panel, choose Add-Remove Programs, Windows Setup. You'll have to look around for CD Player. I think it's under accessories and/or entertainment. (Hard to remember back to 98...It's been a while).

You might be asked for a Windows 98 CD during he install, depending on how your PC was originally setup. If you do not have a CD, try pointing it to c:\windows\options\cabs (common place for Windows setup files to be copied).

Old 04-26-05, 04:49 AM
C
If Real Player is not the intended program, uninstall it. Windows has more than one way to control volume, click on the volume control in the systray to be sure it is not muted. Also check to make sure the speakers are properly connected and the volume is at an adequate level. You might also try re-installing the desired player.

Old 04-27-05, 04:58 AM
E
Boy! I really screwed it up this time. Checked all connections and volume control and found no prolem. Re-installed W98 and it stalled during the re-install and would not go further in the installation ... could not find a file named "olesvr.003=olesvr.dll" So I had no choice except to close the reinstall and go looking for the missing file. Danger. Danger. Danger. It warned that quiting now may affect the previously installed program and that it may not run correctly.

It didn't. And I lost my dial up network connector among other things. ISP was no help.

I guess I have no choice except to break down and get a new compuitor. The current computer is 8 years old and so is the operating system.

There goes my income tax refund!

This e-mail sent from my wife's computer. Same address. Split phone line.

Old 04-27-05, 02:48 PM
C
Well, the old machine probably had quite a few quirks about it, if it's never been rebuilt since 1998. If you are interested, we can help you rebuild it, rather than replace it. It's not really that hard (shhh! Don't tell those who pay my salary! ).

First step is to determine what important data is currently on the drive.

Old 05-03-05, 11:22 AM
E
Easy for you. Difficult for me. (to be said with a German accent)

I think that it served me very well for the seven years I had it with minimal repair and problems.

It was time to get a new one.

Thanks for you offer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: