Powersaver Question

Old 04-26-05, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powersaver Question

Hello all... It's been a while since I have posted. Been very busy... Anyway.. I have a problem with a new computer I have built... I hope someone can help me. (Air Biscuit?) I left my old Dell CPU on 24/7 for years. The only time I would ever turn it off would be for vacations or nasty storms. The monitor was set to turn off (into powersaver mode) after 20 minutes of inactivity. My new setup won't do it. I have looked into the setups at startup and didn't see anything that would be the culprit. It has a hard time even turning on the screensaver! I can watch TV for a while and go by my office and it looks like someone has been on it. (No screensaver, no power saver mode)

What's the deal? I have it set up the same as my old Dell. I have resorted to turning it off every night... Which is really not a problem at this point because I am conditioning the thermal paste on the heatsink.

Any ideas?

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 10:30 AM
tae
which os are you using? for xp:
under display properties/screensaver/(monitor power)power button/power schemes

Old 04-26-05, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by tae
which os are you using? for xp:
under display properties/screensaver/(monitor power)power button/power schemes
Tae... Yes... I'm running Win XP Pro... I have it set exactly as it should be... I have it set as "Always On" but the monitor should go into power saver mode after 20 minutes. Sorry... I should have said that.

My point is... I have it set correctly... It just won't go into power saver mode even though it is set to do so.

Old 04-26-05, 01:26 PM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
Always on is just that "always on". You need to change it to what ever time setting you want the screen saver to kick in at.
If you want the monitor to turn off, go to control panel and power options. There is setting to turn off the monitor.

Old 04-26-05, 01:31 PM
tae
you've looked at your bios settings?
have you tried setting everything for 1 minute?
is there some program/antivirus/malware/firewall/network that wants access every so often?

mine is set as home/office desktop....even though it is always on.
monitor off in 20....everything else never.

Old 04-26-05, 02:13 PM
As I stated... all setting in the control panel are correct. They are set exactly the same way as was on my Dell. I am running the same programs minus a few. It leads me to believe it's something in the bios... But nothin in the power mgt section looks like it has anything to do with the power saver mode of the monitor.

Any other ideas? I guess nobody has run into this before???

Old 04-26-05, 06:28 PM
I am sure you have done this but do like Tae said set the settings to one minute and see what happens. I tried changing some things on mine and everything ended up messed up. I tried changing back and it didn't work. Eventually, after messing with the settings several times it did what I wanted. I just figured it was an xp glitch. You gotta love computers
Bryan

Old 04-26-05, 06:40 PM
Windows power management is sensitive to your BIOS settings. Make sure ACPI is enabled in BIOS (should already be). Try playing with your "video off" settings. Mine is set to "DPMS" and the monitor blanks just like it should.

Might be able to help more tomorrow. What's the model # of your Gigabyte board?