Laptop info

Old 04-28-05, 02:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Laptop info

Hi,

I need to get a laptop and was wondering which brands do you all recommend? Also, what processors are the better one's? I will basically be using it to access the internet and doing reports for school.

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 04-28-05, 04:08 PM
tae
c'mon....give us a price to work with!

Old 04-29-05, 04:56 AM
S
Lightbulb

Thanks for replying! My budget is $1200 or less and I would like to have a CD-RW and DVD-ROM. Also, are those additional warranty plans that these stores offer worth it? Best Buy offers a 2yr plan for $99 and a 3yr plan for $199.

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 04-29-05, 09:28 PM
N
I like Toshiba because they seem to hold up better when they are constantly being moved around. I use mine to program industrial equipment, so it get banged around in some pretty harsh enviorments. You should be about to pick one up at Best Buy for around $1200 if you keep your eye out for sales and rebates. I caught mine on sale for $200 off, plus another $100 Toshiba rebate. My opinion on additional warranties, is that they wouldn't sell the warranty, unless they were making a profit on the sale. That means that the average cost of repairs is less than the price of the warranty.

Nashcat

Old 04-30-05, 02:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I second the Toshiba recommendation. Bought one for my daughter last year from Best Buy and have had no problems with it. Paid about $700 for it after rebates and it has a cd-rw/dvd-rom.

Personally, I never EVER buy extended warranties on ANYTHING. If I added up the cost of what I would have spent on extended warranties for the electronics and appliances I've bought in the last 10 years, it would run into the thousands of dollars versus the $100 or so TOTAL I've spent on repairs (some of which probably wouldn't have been covered anyway. My $.02 worth.

Old 04-30-05, 02:29 PM
C
I bought a Dell to carry back and forth to work, and to use around the station at work. I bought Dell because it makes a good middle of the road, reliable computer. The one I chose was from the refurbished stock. I felt it was a good chance to save a buck. I bought the one year, no matter what happens warranty because I am new to using a laptop and Dell is the only vendor offering coverage for a computer that was dropped or stepped on. This way I give myself a year to learn how to take care of it without breaking it. I got a P4 with DVD burner and the warranty for under $1000.

Old 04-30-05, 02:50 PM
jaxx751
Visiting Guest
when buying a laptop that isn't your main computer, try to get a computer that will have lots of battery life, believe me, it helps a LOT. my 750mhz computer with a crappy graphics card in it, it's battery only lasts for 2 hours max, but it claims 3 when fully charged... and that is still, just browsing the internet, if I play video it eats it all up in 1 hour... fairly sad if you ask me... then i have to just listen to my iPod

HTH

-jaxx

Old 04-30-05, 03:32 PM
S
Lightbulb

Thanks for all the info people. I appreciate it! I think I am going to go without the warranty as well.

greenda4

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: