Updating netscape

Old 04-29-05, 04:54 AM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Updating netscape

I need to update netscape and some other programs. When I save the files to disk my computer wants to save them as pdf files. It adds a .pdf to the .exe file name then adobe won't read the files because they are not supported or might be corrupted.
This is what I've done so far without results:
Renamed the file without the .pdf. It still tries to read them as pdf files
Is there someplace where I have set something to read downloads as .pdf by default? Is there a way to shut this off?
Have you any other suggestions?
Probabaly you have more questions about what I am doing. Fire away
I am running windows 98.

In advance thanks
tightcoat

Old 04-29-05, 06:07 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you right click on the name of the file in My Computer and select properties from the bottom, does the dialogue box show to open this type of file with Acrobat? If so, this would be the place to make the change.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-05, 10:27 AM
T
I guess I don't know how to change it. If I check properties it shows that it is a pdf file but there is not dialog box to open it.
Why are .exe files being saved as .exe.pdf files? Can I undo that?

Old 04-29-05, 02:25 PM
C
There is button in the dialogue box marked Change to change the type of file and the program that opens it.

Old 04-30-05, 03:55 AM
T
No, there isn't a dialogue box. Is there somewhere else it could be?
I clicked on my computer, went to my documents where the file is, right clicked on properties for that file. There is some information about it like when it was created, when it was last accessec and places to check if it is read only, archive or hidden. That's all.

This didn't used to happen. So something was changed somewhere along the line, probabaly by my clumsy fingers. If I turned it on to call a file .pdf, there must to be a way to turn it off. If there is another way to rename the file and make it work I would be happy with that. Everything else seems to be working normally.
Thanks, tc

Old 04-30-05, 12:04 PM
D
As an experiment, try this

download the file normally. Then right click on it and select "rename" from the menu that comes up. The file is presently named "filename.exe.pdf" (or "filename.zip.pdf"). Just remove the last period and the "pdf". When you're done it should look like "filename.exe" or "filename.zip" (for compressed or Zip files).

PS- Don't actually type the quotation marks above, they're just to help you understand my idea. You may also get a dialog box about changing the extension, just click yes.

Now try to double click it and run it. Please let us know if this works and we can figure out why the computer is changing the names.

Last edited by Desy2820; 04-30-05 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-01-05, 04:29 PM
T
I can change the name but it is still saved as a pdf file so it still won't open and there is still a .pdf appended at the end. Is there a way to save it differently when I download? If so how and where and then how can I install it?
Thanks tc

Old 05-02-05, 08:48 AM
C
You are probably unable to change the file extensions due to the fact that Windows Explorer hides file extensions for known file types by default. To do what you need to do, you'll have to turn that setting off.

Open up My Computer, go to Tools-->Folder Options-->View (tab). Now find the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and uncheck it. Click Apply, then click "Apply to All Folders".

Now go try renaming that file.

Old 05-02-05, 11:44 AM
T
OK! thanks, I now know how to change file names. Before I try something and maybe make things worse, what is a good thing to change it to so it will open and run? What program should I use to open and run?

Thanks for all the help,

Old 05-02-05, 11:27 PM
If it is an .exe file (executable file) then it runs itelf - no other software required. If it is an .zip file then you need decompression software like Winzip.

Old 05-03-05, 02:51 PM
T
Thank you all.
I haven't tried to do it yet but all the pieces are in place.
I'll let you know when it works. Or, I guess I might come back with more questions.
tightcoat

Old 05-04-05, 08:10 AM
T
chirkware and raharold,
Thank you for the advice. I have acheived success. The folder options are in the settings tab at the start menu. Sure enough when I changed the folder name the little adobe icon that was above the file name changed and when I ran the file everything worked.
Life would be a lot less fun if there weren't still things to learn.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: