Wireless Internet Connection

Old 04-29-05, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless Internet Connection

Hi guys. I have Cox High Speed Internet hooked up to Computer #1. I have Computer #2 hooked up to Computer #1 with Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter. When I first installed everything I was running Windows 98 SE on computer #2 and the connection was always on just like computer #1. Since then I installed Windows XP PRO on computer #2 and the wireless connection does not stay on like it did with Windows 98 SE. For me to use computer #2, I need to restart it to get connected to the Internetl. Once connected it stays connected for about 24 hours and then cuts off. Iam told Windows XP Home or Pro does not install NETBRUI on the Hard drive anymore by default. I would have to find 2 files on the XP PRO CD and install them to the Hard drive myself for the connection on computer #2 to always be on. I HAVE NOT IDEA HOW TO DO THIS. HELP, PLEASE. Microsoft does give step by step instructions on how to do this.

Old 04-30-05, 03:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 160 Likes on 124 Posts
If you have XP on both machines and you install a router after the hi-speed modem, you can network both (by connecting to the router) and they will always be on. Get a wireless router so you can connect with #2 and #1 you can hardwire since it will likely be close to the modem and router. I have my desktop and daughter's laptop networked with Direcway satellite like this and it works well. Both are always "on". I'm using a US Robotics wireless router with a wireless adapter card in the daughter's laptop and the desktop is direct connected to the router. Setup was pretty easy using the instructions that came with the router.

Old 04-30-05, 12:51 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try installing all the updates

for XP, especially Service Pack 2. There was a known problem with XP Home and wireless connections, I'm not sure about if it affected XP Pro. The problem with Xp home was exactly as you described, dropping the connection.

The only thing you may need to watch out for is the built-in Windows firewall, the update will automatically turn it on and may cause problems at first getting connected, until you get it properly set-up.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: