Programs starting problem

Old 05-01-05, 12:06 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Programs starting problem

I have a CD with an interactive program. I have home XP on an Dell IBM format. I have run this CD in the past without a problem but it now says a dialog box that jumps up and says in the blue area
" 16 Bit windows subsystem ", and in the area under it, it says "C:\windows\subsystem32\autoexec.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application" Then it gives two buttons to choose either Close or Ignore,... I've tried both and nothing..........I'm wondering why it says NT... Is XP just another version of NT??? any ideas? I have had this happen a couple of times. And what does this 16 Bit mean? I thought everything is 32 bit since about windows 95...

Old 05-01-05, 01:02 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2000 and XP are based on NT, whereas 9x and ME still use elements of DOS. Some older Windows applications are 16-bit. These run fine in 9x and ME, but NT, 2000 and XP must use some backwards compatibility code to run these. If you right click on the program there should be a tab labeled "compatibility." You can try and play with these settings, but if it fails to work you may just have to find an older box to run this program on.

Old 05-01-05, 05:42 PM
H
older box?

why would I need an older box when I ran this program on this exact computer a year ago? The only thing I did was uninstall the program several months ago because I wasn't using it. I tried to reinstall it and this is where I am having the problem. I tried the compatability thing and that didn't work...any other ideas? Is there a way to tempoarily make the computer 16 bit just to run the program and then switch it back later to 32 bit?

Old 05-02-05, 02:43 PM
G
Sorry, I mis-read your post. Did you apply any service packs or Microsoft fixes between now and the time it ran without problem?

Old 05-03-05, 12:41 AM
The fix is fairly complictated but here it is: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

I suggest you cut and paste the commands (one at a time) they recommend into the command line window.

I found this by searching Google "16 bit on xp"

Old 05-03-05, 09:43 AM
H
Thanks,...

I'll try it and let you know if it works.
And yes, I did a service pack II since then I believe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: