slow dial up connection

Old 05-04-05, 08:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slow dial up connection

I read through previous similar post's info. My situation is I am connected for 2 yrs now to a v90 and just switched to a v92 isp and with both get 28Kbps on connection speed. Did a test @ pc pitstop and I got 24KBPS or so. I have a 5+ yr old hp pavillion (500mghz) and my wifes 2+ yr old Hp running xp (mine is 98se), also connects @ 28KBPS. I have a conexetent soft 56k modem, hers a Lucent winmodem. I would like to speed things up and I figure the first place would be to double the connection speed to 40-50KBS. So from the other post I am assuming checking the phone line (they are on different lines (same #), and changing to a real hardware modem would help? TIA jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-05, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
most dailup will not give you 56 k
old phone line in your sector will cause that.
even if your house is new constuction, and new wire to the house does not mean that the sub station of the phone company is new.
Try to get dsl

good luck

pg

Old 05-05-05, 05:29 AM
C
A few years ago I was having a similar problem...56k modem, and lucky to get a 31k connection. 24k-28k was more common. Our homes wiring was the old 4 wire telephone wire, which made a loop from the NID to each jack and then back to the NID. We had two phone lines coming into the house, one for the phones, and the other for the modem. Both lines ran through the one 4 wire cable.

I ran a CAT3 cable directly from the NID to the modem to get it off the loop. The end result was an increase to around 37k or so. Still slow, but better than what we had.

Now I use cable modem.

Old 05-05-05, 12:55 PM
J
I also ran into this problem when switching over from an old analog baby bell phone line to a newer comcast digital phone line. once I downloaded the comcast modem drivers (which were listed as modem 575) from comcast my old dial-up modem went from the low 30s to around 51k. now if comcast would just uncap my broadband service above the barely dsl speed it gets now. not really complaining because I'm paying 19.95, but after 6 months when it goes up, if they keep this 1meg and below cap on, I'm moving on to dsl.