computer too slow for dvd burner, what to do?

Old 05-08-05, 04:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
computer too slow for dvd burner, what to do?

Just got a dual layer (dual format) sony 16x dvd burner. After I get it home, box says p3 800 or higher. Well, i've got plenty of ram and hard disk space, but i'm only running a p3 450.

The obvious is to upgrade my computer, but this is not going to happen, as I'm saving for a laptop, which is months away.

Will it be ok to use this burner with my computer, or is something going to crap out?

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-05, 09:10 AM
A
Impossible to say, really. My thought is that it will probably work OK, as I'm sure that they tend to run toward the conservative side when it comes to system requirements.

The only way to know is to test it out.

Old 05-09-05, 10:59 AM
R
If you cannot supply data fast enough to the drive, the drive may not be able to write data to the DVD properly.

You may not be able to burn DVDs. You may also have a probloem on this PC playing DVDs for more or less the same reason.

Old 05-09-05, 11:41 AM
russapoth
Visiting Guest
your best bet would be an external drive. Even if your pc is too slow, when you get a laptop youll be able to use it with that.

Old 05-09-05, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
This comment is from a novice but it may apply.
A few years ago I had a P1 computer that would fail half the time when trying to burn because it was too slow.
Gave the computer to my son and he installed a newer cd burner with more buffer memory and it never failed once after that.

Old 05-10-05, 12:34 PM
J
thanks for the input. while it very well may have worked, I'm sick and tired of trying to limp this old outdated computer along. I've needed a real excuse all along to update my computer, and now I have one. I just have to decide if I REALLY need a laptop, or should just spend a little and upgrade what I have, as I already have a 150 gig hard drive, video card, and case that I can use to upgrade to a newer desktop. I just returned the dvd burner for now, as if I wait a few weeks until I get a computer, an even better model will likely be out by then.

Old 05-14-05, 08:09 AM
grimreaper
Visiting Guest
In my opinion, unless you use a laptop a LOT for work, or school, then it is a waste of money. You get tired of toting them around, plugging them in, finding power ports to connect, or buying back up batteries for them..etc..etc. I have one I used when my folks were ill. It's still sitting in my closet from 5 years ago. I use it on trips, but then only when I am in a hotel room to check my email. I put a desktop model in my van, and use that for my business. I just burn what ever information I need from it onto a DVD, and bring it into my office, or use an external hard drive to transfer the files.
Remember, for a LOT LESS money, you can get a LOT MORE desktop computer. As for putting your stuff in a upgraded machine, if it is a reasonably new video card, and will run the games you have..then it is probably a good move. As long as your NOT using a dell, Compaq, etc..case. If so, many of them have proprietary mother board mounts in them, and some use proprietary power supplies as well. Not to mention the old power supply probably wont run a new P4 chip and mobo anyway. SO, be sure to upgrade your power supply as well. Once you have built a number of them, you will find that a QUALITY power supply is the ONLY WAY TO GO. As it can cause you more problems than almost anything else you will put in the case. And don't forget to add in the cost of a OS as well. Because again, if your running a dell now, or any other STORE brand of computer..even if you have XP, etc..it wont work on a computer you build yourself. You will need a retail version for your new machine.
Many find considering the cost of the OS, mobo, new processor, ram, power supply, etc..they are better off just getting a low end system on line from dell, and putting THEIR graphics card, hard drives, and opticals in them later on. PLUS you have the factory warranty, and phone support help if the system doesn't boot up!!
I am NOT trying to spook you out of building your own machine. In fact I have not bought a new computer in over 7 years now. I built all my own machines from scratch. I have had a LOT better luck doing it that way, as I can put TRUE quality parts in it when I build it, and it is easier to upgrade later on as well.
Good luck to you with what ever you decide to do.

Old 05-14-05, 06:31 PM
Upgrade for DVD burner

I had a Dell Dimension P3-700 that I installed a Powerleap 1.4GHz upgrade into. It was slow, but with 256 MB RAM and 80GB HDD I was able to burn CDs and DVDs. If everything else is okay, try that.

Old 05-14-05, 08:10 PM
J
Originally Posted by grimreaper
In my opinion, unless you use a laptop a LOT for work, or school, then it is a waste of money. You get tired of toting them around, plugging them in, finding power ports to connect, or buying back up batteries for them..etc..etc. I have one I used when my folks were ill. It's still sitting in my closet from 5 years ago. I use it on trips, but then only when I am in a hotel room to check my email. I put a desktop model in my van, and use that for my business. I just burn what ever information I need from it onto a DVD, and bring it into my office, or use an external hard drive to transfer the files.
Remember, for a LOT LESS money, you can get a LOT MORE desktop computer. As for putting your stuff in a upgraded machine, if it is a reasonably new video card, and will run the games you have..then it is probably a good move. As long as your NOT using a dell, Compaq, etc..case. If so, many of them have proprietary mother board mounts in them, and some use proprietary power supplies as well. Not to mention the old power supply probably wont run a new P4 chip and mobo anyway. SO, be sure to upgrade your power supply as well. Once you have built a number of them, you will find that a QUALITY power supply is the ONLY WAY TO GO. As it can cause you more problems than almost anything else you will put in the case. And don't forget to add in the cost of a OS as well. Because again, if your running a dell now, or any other STORE brand of computer..even if you have XP, etc..it wont work on a computer you build yourself. You will need a retail version for your new machine.
Many find considering the cost of the OS, mobo, new processor, ram, power supply, etc..they are better off just getting a low end system on line from dell, and putting THEIR graphics card, hard drives, and opticals in them later on. PLUS you have the factory warranty, and phone support help if the system doesn't boot up!!
I am NOT trying to spook you out of building your own machine. In fact I have not bought a new computer in over 7 years now. I built all my own machines from scratch. I have had a LOT better luck doing it that way, as I can put TRUE quality parts in it when I build it, and it is easier to upgrade later on as well.
Good luck to you with what ever you decide to do.
I've never owned a laptop before. I just got my new position three months ago in my company and now have a laptop.

See, the problem is, my computer is upstairs in the extra bedroom. When I get home from a long day at work, my wife goes ape when I disappear into the computer room. I in turn go ape because I can't get onto the computer.

I setup a wireless network in my house, and bought a wireless card for my work laptop. I've got it setup now, so when I come home, I can sit in the front room with my wife at the couch, and still be with her, yet have the internet on my lap with broadband. it's kind of a happy compromise. Consider, though, that my current laptop is a p3 850, and IS a work laptop, so I don't want to mess with it too much, and am not "supposed" to install any other software onto it, which I've been very good with not doing.

this is mainly why I want it, the convienance of being able to surf the net anywhere in my home