PC restarts on its own

Old 05-08-05, 11:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PC restarts on its own

My computer sometimes shuts down and restarts itself. This has occurred regardless whether I'm on the internet or not. I'm running windows XP and have a DSL connection.

Upon restarting, a popup appears. I have the option to send a report to Microsoft or not. I've been selecting "do not send". The last time this happened, I chose to send the report. Microsoft came back with a solution found: http://updates.visualnetworks.com

I know this solution comes from Microsoft so it is probably safe to go to http://updates.visualnetworks.com and download, right? I am leary about downloading stuff from strange places. Is this a normal process?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-05, 04:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
do send the report, you might need a patch for the update

Old 05-09-05, 05:29 AM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
Check all your fans. Also take the cover off and see how thick the layer of dist is on everything. Overheating can cause shutdown problems.

Old 05-09-05, 07:09 PM
tae
do you have Visual IP InSight software? thats what the patch is for.

Old 05-10-05, 03:16 AM
D
I guess I do have Visual IP Insight software. It did not show up in the program files. But when I did a search, it popped up in the program files in the SBC folder, which is my DSL provider.

I could go for days without the PC restarting itself and then it may do it 3 times in an hour. So is the fix to download the patch from the site Microsoft recommends?

Should I always go to the sites that Microsoft recommends when it finds a solution to my problems and download the patch?

Sorry but I'm still green to this PC stuff.

Old 05-10-05, 05:50 AM
A
It is the company that made the software... who else are you going to get the update from?

Go ahead and patch it. You should be fine

Old 05-19-05, 03:43 PM
W
I used to have an "Emachine" that did the same thing (rebooted intermittently with no apparent pattern) - turns out it was overclocked from the factory. I slowed down the CPU (this was back when you had actual dipswitches on the MOBO to do it) and that fixed the problem permanently.