Backing Up MS Outlook Mail to Disk?

Old 05-11-05, 04:29 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Backing Up MS Outlook Mail to Disk?

How do I save or even locate .eml files from Outlook to save to disk? It cannot be done within Outlook apparently. I cannot find the files in windows search, nor can my burn software locate them.

Can anyone?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-05, 05:16 AM
pcfan
Visiting Guest
As far as I remember, you don't have to search for EML files, but for .pst files.
EML is used by other e-mail clients.

Old 05-11-05, 05:44 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Thanks but there are no .pst files to be found.

Old 05-11-05, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you use Outlook you have a .pst file. Notice I said "A pst file". All of Outlooks folders and all your mail are stored in 1 pst file, you won't be able to open that file and extract anything. Make sure you search hidden and system files for it. Also I have seen these pst data files many MB and even over a GB in size, depending on your definition of "disk" you may not be able to back it up, certainly not a floppy, maybe a CDR or DVDR might be required.

Old 05-11-05, 07:41 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Ok, thank you -I will search again for that single .pst file. It will definitely be sizeable, I will be putting it on DVD.

Why does Microsoft make it so obscure here? Is what I am doing so uncommon a task?

Anyway, thanks again.

Old 05-11-05, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just to be sure...Are you talking about Outlook, or Outlook Express?

Old 05-11-05, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The default location is c: -> documents and settings -> yourusername -> local settings -> application data -> microsoft -> outlook -> *.pst and *.ext

The file size depends on how many messages you have saved, remember to empty the junk and deleted items folders, that will cut down on the size.

Old 05-13-05, 07:40 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Now What to do?

Pardon my ignorance guys, but I have located these .pst files (thank you) archive and outlook, but don't know what to do from there. I clicked open but got a dire message about making changes etc. Where do I go from here? Thanks again... and again why isn't this just as apparent and easy as backing up anything else (say .doc) to disk?

Old 05-13-05, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Actually, it is, Outlook has a built in export and import function. It's just easier (to me) to just copy the file.

Old 05-13-05, 10:27 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Holy Moly what an idiot I am! I am chronically oblivious to the obvious as far as computing is concerned.

I saw the import/export option, didn't follow it, thought it only related to tranferring files and settings to and from another email client.

Thanks for pointing this out, and your patience.

Old 05-14-05, 09:32 PM
kharbin
Visiting Guest
File locations

The default location for the .pst file is buried deeply in the "Documents and Settings" folders. There is one for each user setup in Outlook. To locate the file(s) for a specific user, from within the users Outlook logon click Files > Data Files Management: From the popup select the file and click "open folder"
then copy or backup the file and transport it as you wish.

Old 05-15-05, 07:41 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Even better... easier, thanks. Thanks all.

This is a great Site!