Opening Imac Programs In Win98(se)

Old 05-22-05, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opening Imac Programs In Win98(se)

I have a small problem that maybe someone can help me with. Some programs, and computer records, have been forwarded to me that are necessary to review. However, all the programs and transactions were written on a IMac ( which is not available to me), and I am running Win98(SE) ( I know, I know, but it works for me for now!!) How can I open these records? Is it possible without grossly reconfiguring my own computer? Or are we out of luck?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 05:46 AM
How were they sent to you and what program generated them?

Old 05-23-05, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply;
Presently I have not yet received physical possession. They are in transit in snail mail on a CD. It is my understanding that these files were just copied from a computer onto the disk. I will have to call the people and ask them specifically how they generated the disk. Is there anything special I should be inquiring about?i

Old 05-23-05, 12:11 PM
You should be able to read the CD without no problem.

As for the program, many MAC programs have Windows counterparts, and those Windows programs can read and write MAC format. The MAC program they used can also probably write into a PC version format.

Old 05-23-05, 03:23 PM
Racraft;
Thanks again for your interest and responses. I will have to await the arrival of this disk and see what transpires. Wasn't sure about the compatability so I thought I would ask in advance of receipt. If I have any problems I will pull a "Arnold". " I'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :-)

Old 05-31-05, 01:13 AM
one thing to watch for is the lack of the "dot-3" extension on the file name that tells Windoze how to match the file to a compatible application. Like the ".doc" for Word files. The Mac doesn't use these - though it can recognize them - and the file names on the CD may not have them. (newer Mac apps add the extension to aid compatibility, but it may be an option that wasn't set.)

If the extensions are missing Windoze will be confused but not completely useless (no more than usual ) If you know what type the files should be (ie, Word, Excel, etc) you can rename them to add the extension (after copying to hard drive).