Gateway w/windows xp home

Old 05-31-05, 08:04 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gateway w/windows xp (home edition)

My computer went south (to ****) would not go on-line TCP/IP ERROR after a 100.00 dollar fee for 8 hrs. I got the computer back. I can now go on-line. The CD-ROM will not work nor will the sound.I was told the computer needed to be rebuilt.I was adviced that the parts were excellent (only two years old) and I would have remove everything and reinstall it all.How can I do this w/out the cd working? The device manager has the following[!] HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481 B , [!] JLMS-XJ-HD 166S What's up w/ the [!] is this the problem. Thank for any & all help

Last edited by krumb; 06-02-05 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 09:56 PM
well, krumb, it would help if you'd type a little slower and try to use more complete sentences.

what I think I read is that the CD won't work - correct? If that is the case then you are correct - you cannot load the CD that you need for the rebuild. Catch-22. Doesn't the Gateway come with a set of 'restore' CDs? have you tried booting from those? If you can't you'll need to fix the CD before you can go any further. I assume the system is out of warranty? Replacing the CD is usually pretty straightforward and it doesn't have to be an exact replacement from Gateway. they'll charge you a premium for an obsolete unit. Find a local computer shop and they can usually give you good advice along with a good price on an updated replacement.

Old 06-01-05, 04:03 PM
C
In the control panel, select system, hardware, device manager, and delete the CD drive, then restart the computer. XP should reinstall the device in a workable fashion.

Of course, this assumes the CD drive is connected to the IDE bus and has power.

Last edited by chfite; 06-09-05 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 04:23 PM
W
Isn't there sometimes a C:\I386 directory that includes the CABS from the restore CD? That way you can restore the original driver without the CD.