Computer turns on when phone rings

Old 06-02-05, 10:14 PM
yippyiokiyay
Visiting Guest
Question Computer turns on when phone rings

I just bought a new computer and every time the phone rings or I make a call, the computer turns on. Now it's doing it even if the phone doesn't ring.....can I click on something in the Control Panel to stop this from happening? Anyone?? ........

Old 06-02-05, 11:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your Bios allows you to do this (compaq probably doesn't), go into the bios (the same as setup) when you boot up the computer and there should be something like a "wake on ring" or "wake on pci" option in the power management menu. Set this to off. That should at least solve the phone ring problem.

Last edited by jeff67; 06-02-05 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-08-05, 08:45 PM
yippyiokiyay
Visiting Guest
Computer STILL Turns On By Itself

I tried going into the BIOS in "Power Management". I did not see anything relating to the phone ring, but did see something relating to "PCI". I disabled it and got a blank monitor, so I switched it back. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-09-05, 04:54 AM
A
It is almost certainly a BIOS setting. It may be in a different section of the BIOS setup. What brand and model of computer do you have?

Old 06-09-05, 09:33 AM
yippyiokiyay
Visiting Guest
It's a MSI Mainboard, Model KM4M-V. Windows XP operating system.

Old 06-09-05, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Are you wireless??? Had one here wireless and the 2.5 cordless phone would turn the Pc off when it would ring.Had to get the 900m phones back.

ED

Old 06-09-05, 02:47 PM
yippyiokiyay
Visiting Guest
Nope, not wireless. Dialup.

Old 06-09-05, 06:17 PM
B
Is the power off or is the computer "sleeping"?

Do you keep the AV and firewall up to date? Yes, even dial-up needs it. I have one computer on dialup and within 15 minutes of connecting the first time, I had a virus. Needless to say, I installed AV and firewall pronto.

If they are current, I would check the phone software for the switch the others are talking about. You may have something turned on to use the computer as an answering machine. But these would only work if the computer was just "sleeping". If it does it when powered down, then its something in the BIOS.

Old 06-10-05, 08:50 AM
A
I did a little searching around on MSI's website to see if I could locate your manual. I did, but unfortunately, MSI doesn't seem to feel that owners of the KM4M-V need any help with the BIOS settings, as the manual only refers you to the website for help with the BIOS. That's a bit annoying .

I went one step up and checked out the manual for the KM4M-L, and it does indeed have a more detailed section on BIOS settings, so, hopefully, your setting may be similar.

Here we go:

Under "Power Management" in your BIOS setup, check to see if there's a line that says "IRQ/Event Activity Detect". If there is, highlight it, and press "enter". This will take you to a submenu, where there are several options for the "Wake up" features. Here are an explanation of the setting from the manual:
PS2KB Wakeup Select
The item specify how the system will be awakened from power saving mode when input signal of the keyboard is detected. If set to Hot Key, it allows you to select the options in PS2 KB Wake UP from S3. If set to Password, please press <Enter> to input password and its maximum password is 8 numbers. Options are: Hot Key, Password.

PS2KB Wake Up from S3/S4/S5
This setting allows you to enter “Hot Key” (max. 8 numbers) to wake up the system from S3 state. Settings are: Disable, Ctrl+F1~Ctrl+F12, Power, Wake, Any Key.

PS2MS Wake Up from S3/S4/S5
This setting allows the activity of the mouse to wake up the system from S3 state.
Settings are: Enabled and Disabled.

USB Resume from S3
This item allows the activity of the USB device to wake up the system from S3 (Suspend to RAM) state. Settings are: Enabled and Disabled.

VGA, LPT & COM, HDD & FDD, PCI Master
These fields specify whether the system will be awakened from power saving
modes when activity or input signal of the specified hardware peripheral or component is detected.

Wake Up On PME
When set to Enabled, the feature allows your system to be awakened from the power saving modes through any event on PME (Power Management Event). Settings are: Enabled and Disabled.
You should be able to safely disable "Wake Up On PME". Unless you use your mouse, keyboard, or some other peripheral to power on your system, you can probably safely disable the other lines also.

If your Power Management Setup doesn't contain the "IRQ/Event Activity Detect" option, maybe you can tell us what is actually listed there, and we can go from there.

Old 06-10-05, 09:50 PM
yippyiokiyay
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Problem solved! I went into the IRQ Event Activity screen and disabled the "PME" setting. I then shut down the computer and turned on the phone and Eureka!---the computer didn't turn on. So far, so good.
Thank you to all for all your help and especially to Air Biscuit (Dave) for all the trouble you went to, to supply me with all that info.

Old 06-14-05, 08:39 AM
A
No trouble at all! Glad you got it fixed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: