Printer Ink

Old 06-04-05, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Printer Ink

Has anyone used refurbished ink cartriges? I was looking at one site www.inkwagon.com & was wondering is there any diff. in the print quality?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-05, 06:33 AM
caveat emptor

I personally would never use refill kits or refilled cartridges.

Old 06-04-05, 10:14 AM
I've had good and bad(not from the same place your looking at). I bought a batch of 5 at the same time. 3 were good, and 2 were bad(meaning dried or streaky). They were cheap and the printer was old, and I wasn't to concerned about them leaking or causing damage to the printer. But I wouldn't use them in my new printer. Also they didn't seem to last as long as new ones.

Old 06-04-05, 10:45 AM
Glad I checked here first. I always belive you get what you pay for, but always hold out hope. Thanks, Mike

Old 06-04-05, 11:16 AM
--BK
Visiting Guest
Refilling is fine, but you need a fresh cartridge.

Inside the cartridge is a sponge sort of material. If it dries out it won't absorb ink anymore. It needs to be soaked so that it lets out a little ink at a time. You can't just fill the cartridge with ink. The ink needs to be absorbed into the sponge.

Aside from spilling the ink, and getting messy fingers, I find no reason not to get a refill kit and use it. It is cheaper.

Just remember, don't wait for your cartridge to run out. Determine the half way point somehow (try guessing) and fill it at that point. If the sponge dries out the ink will make a real mess.

--BK

Old 06-08-05, 05:03 PM
running anything other than OEM in a new printer risks voiding the warranty. So if you do decide to refill or use refurb/3rd party stuff be sure you replace with OEM before taking in for warranty service.

as others have said, running 3rd party ink/toner runs the gamut. A lot depends on the price difference with OEM, age of printer, usage profile, etc. Be sure to avoid companies like Lexmark who try to force you to buy theirs by putting a chip in the cartridge (I think they just lost a court case on this). One thing 3rd-party competition has done is bring OEM prices down in many cases.

I would avoid using price as the sole discriminator when shopping, and as someone else said, "caveat emptor"

Old 06-08-05, 06:11 PM
Actually, you cannoit void your warranty simply by using a non-OEM cartridge. The companies that tried this lost in court. However, if a non-OEM cartridge causes damage then they don't have to repair that damage under the warranty.

Old 06-09-05, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Actually, you cannoit void your warranty simply by using a non-OEM cartridge. The companies that tried this lost in court. However, if a non-OEM cartridge causes damage then they don't have to repair that damage under the warranty.
Correct.

that's what I thought I said, but not so precisely. However, I would always make sure the printer had OEM cartridges if I sent it in for any warranty service. Why give them the opportunity to deny service?

Old 06-09-05, 01:32 PM
Actually, that's all I use on by HP Inkjet 950. I tried refilling my own for a while, but that was way too messy for me. I've been using a company out of Nashville more recently ("The Toner Guy" I believe). I couldn't find his website so I placed an order with another company just recently - "123Inkjet" or something like that. I'll be glad to post in the future on how they turn out. I think the earlier poster who warned about the cartridges drying out after awhile probably had a point. If you are refilling your own it's probably a good idea to keep them topped off with ink. I would suggest giving the reman cartridges a shot. They're a lot cheaper than the new cartridges. If you have a computer tradeshow that comes around regularly - like "MarketPro" - go there. There will likely be a couple of vendors selling reman cartridges. You might get a feel as to their quality by visiting them in person rather than ordering from an unknown website. That's how I met the "Toner Guy".

Bob