mail client

Old 06-12-05, 05:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
mail client

When I click on a link such as the minister of my church at its web site I get a message that, "The operation cannot be performed b/c the proper mail client is not installed." This occurs at some other sites but not the majority.
Is that on their end or mine?
I use my Comcast mail not outlook but when I had Compuserve I used their mail program and never had the problem w/o outlook so I'm in the dark.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-05, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem is on your end. Your browser is being told to open your email client program, and it cannot find one. Since you don;t use an email client, having one open automatically won't help you anyway.

Old 06-12-05, 06:57 AM
email client

Can I use both Comcast's hispeed and outlook together thereby having access to my mail via C-cast + being able to open these links that are looking for an email client?
I suspect they will be in conflict with each other but would appreciate an opinion.
Thank you

Old 06-12-05, 07:29 PM
If you right click on the address and select copy, then open your web mail and spawn a new message, you can paste the address into the address line, and write the message from there.

Old 06-12-05, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by peterr
Can I use both Comcast's hispeed and outlook together thereby having access to my mail via C-cast + being able to open these links that are looking for an email client?
I suspect they will be in conflict with each other but would appreciate an opinion.
Thank you
if I understand correctly you read your email with your browser directly from the Comcast site? That's certainly one way to do it, though it limits a lot of things a regular client can do.

first, there's no 'conflict' with using a client and the browser webmail. However, if you want to use both there are preference settings that will make things work a little smoother. Normally you would set the client to to remove messages from the server when the client connects and downloads messages. But if you want to also use the browser you want to change this. If one of the reasons you use the browser is to minimize email virus problems then Outlook is not the client you want to use. Check out Mozilla's Thunderbird - free and a lot safer than Outlook.

Old 06-13-05, 09:24 AM
paste and T-Bird

First, copying the address and pasting to the address bar is a good idea-thanx, Chris.
Secondly, I'll look into Thunderbird to see if I can get my email from another pc(web based).
My goal is to set up so I can click on url's that will open + access my mail from another pc when in a library for example.
With your help, I'm getting there.
Thank you

Old 06-13-05, 09:35 AM
My goal is to set up so I can click on url's that will open + access my mail from another pc when in a library for example.
With your help, I'm getting there.
Thank you
Now you tell us! the library is not going to let you go around installing e-mail clients on their machines - and you wouldn't want to if they did. You'd end up having your mail on a public machine and that's a really bad thing!

The client is for your home machine. Stick to cut and paste at the library!

-art-

Old 06-13-05, 09:38 AM
There is nothing wrong with Outlook. Outlook is very well written and very secure, when used properly.

The problem is that the default, or standard, installation of Outlook turns on all the features that make Outlook open and not secure. You must manually tun these features off to make Outlook safe and secure.

Outlook Express is a different story. Outlook Express is a piece of garbage, poorly written, and an embarrassment to Microsoft. Do not use Outlook Express for any purpose at all. If it on your PC remove it. If you are using it, switch to something else - just about anything else - and then remove it.

Old 06-13-05, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
The problem is that the default, or standard, installation of Outlook turns on all the features that make Outlook open and not secure. You must manually tun these features off to make Outlook safe and secure.......
That is precisely the problem with Outlook (and lots of other programs, for that matter)! How many people have a clue that this needs to be done, let alone how to do it? Microsoft continues to ignore this obvious fact, and that's a big contributor to the rampant propagation of Window-related malware.

-art-

Old 06-13-05, 03:27 PM
outlook express

Comcast's only mail client is Outlook Express.
Ouch to the tuf guys and thanx to the nice ones.

Old 06-13-05, 03:50 PM
Comcast's only mail client is Outlook Express...
NOT TRUE!! That may be what Comcast gives you on their CD, but that doesn't mean you have to use it.

Look, if Comcast had its way not only would everybody on their system be using Outlook, we'd all be running Windows XP and Internet Explorer as well. Can't blame them for trying, I suppose, but that's not the way the Internet works.

I have Comcast and run 3 mail clients - none with a Bill Gates stamp of approval. Same with the browser - Firefox. (I also run a Mac, but that's another issue. )

good luck!

-art-

Old 06-13-05, 05:43 PM
Sandbagger,

I respectfully disagree. It's not Microsoft's fault that people are stupid. People learn how to drive before they are allowed to drive on their own. People need to learn how to use a computer before they use one on their own.

If Microsoft made the defaults for Outlook such that the highest level of protection was available, then people wouldn't use the product because they didn't like it, or they would call tech support and get instructions on how to fix the "problem". Then they would be just as stupid as ever, and spread more viruses and infect their machines.

Can Microsoft do better? Absolutely. But so can the vast majority of people who purchase and use a computer.

Old 06-14-05, 10:44 PM
Sandbagger,

I respectfully disagree. It's not Microsoft's fault that people are stupid. People learn how to drive before they are allowed to drive on their own. People need to learn how to use a computer before they use one on their own......
My, my - rather harsh words for the user community, wouldn't you say?

Well, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

It would be terrific if we could somehow send everyone to "drivers' ed" before they walked out the door with that new computer. Of course if we had that requirement you wouldn't have sub-$1000 computers today and the internet would still be the domain of the university crowd. Catch-22. Truth is I'd really like to agree with you, and once upon a time did. But after many bruises from bashing that wall It finally soaked through that people have better things to do than become Windoze geeks. As my 85-yr old (self-taught) father-in-law said, "I just want it to work!"

"If Microsoft made the defaults for Outlook such that the highest level of protection was available, then people wouldn't use the product because they didn't like it,....."

do you mean if Outlook was configured - by default - to the same security level as the competition (eg, Thunderbird) that it might have a problem competing? If Outlook is so "well-written" as you say, what exactly is the problem? Fact is if Outlook wasn't on every Windows PC by default it would have died a long time ago (same for IE, for that matter). And this is why many of the major security people out there are recommending that users consider "alternatives" to Outlook and IE - Microsoft just doesn't get it when it comes to security and people are getting tired of waiting.

-art-

Old 06-15-05, 05:06 AM
Sandbagger, one correction.

Outlook is NOT on every Windows computer by default. Outlook is part of Office, which is an add on.

Outlook Express is on every (or at least most) Windows computers by default, Outlook Express is a piece of garbage, an abomination, and an embarrassment to Microsoft. Nobody with any knowledge of computers and computing uses Outlook Express. Those who use it would be wise to stop doing so.

Old 06-15-05, 06:02 AM
Comcast's only mail client is Outlook Express.
I use Thunderbird with my Comcast web-based e-mail
I really can't say enough about how great Thunderbird is

If I close Thunderbird when I leave the computer, I can access any new e-mails from anywhere through the web-based Comcast site

Old 06-15-05, 09:53 PM
Sandbagger, one correction.

Outlook is NOT on every Windows computer by default. Outlook is part of Office, which is an add on. Outlook Express is on every (or at least most) Windows computers by default, Outlook Express is a piece of garbage, an abomination, and an embarrassment to Microsoft.
you are correct - my bad It's easy for me to lump them together having never used either. In some respects, however, it's a marketing blunder by Microsoft to actually create the opportunity for confusion.

Nobody with any knowledge of computers and computing uses Outlook Express. Those who use it would be wise to stop doing so.
correct again! But doesn't that cover the vast majority of people who actually use computers? We both wish it wasn't so, and I also wish there weren't so many bad drivers out there so my insurance rates weren't so high. But it is what it is.

-art-

Old 06-16-05, 04:49 AM
Getting back to the original question...

Pete:
In your Control Panel, go to Internet Options (may be under "Network and Internet Connections"). Once there, go to the Programs tab. What program is listed for E-Mail? I suspect either nothing is there, or a mail client is listed that you no longer have. If you are using Outlook Express, select it there. Otherwise, select whatever client software you are using. You cannot select the web client.

Now, I do have to agree with everyone that Thunderbird is a safer choice than Outlook Express. Once you have Outlook Express configured and working properly, you can THEN install Thunderbird and let it import your settings from Outlook Express. When Thunderbird asks if you want it to be your default email program, say YES (then note that the setting in Internet Options has changed to Thunderbird). Now Thunderbird is your program and you can get rid of Outlook Express.