internet explorer

Old 06-21-05, 12:08 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
internet explorer

When I go to Dell's community forum I get the message that msie has encountered problems and needs to close.
The reason I was writing them was that I keep reading about a clean install of win xp with no mention of the resource disk
When I had to reformat and install win xp last year a Dell tech had me use the resource disk first to reformat then use the win xp install disk for installation of the operating system. Why is there no mention anywhere of this resource cd-is it possible to reformat or wipe clean the hard drive w/o it and use just the win xp disk?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 02:07 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The answer is yes, you don;t need a resource CD. However, you do need something that will allow you to reformat and possibly partition the hard drive, which is what the resource CD allows you to do.

Old 06-22-05, 04:58 AM
P
resource cd

Thank you for your help.

Old 06-22-05, 07:38 AM
B
Regarding your problem with IE; I had a similar problem the other day on a particular website, with one particular link (which I had used before). This time it failed continuously. Finally, I re-installed IE and it has worked ever since.

Bob

Old 06-22-05, 09:42 AM
P
msie

Thank you for your tip, Bob.
Could you tell me how to uninstall(if nec) and reinstall internet explorer.
It is true that it is happening at only one site so this will likely fix it.

Old 06-22-05, 11:32 AM
B
Actually I did not unistall IE first. I simply re-installed it over the earlier copy. To uninstall it simply go to the Control Panel and select "Add/Remove Programs". This will bring up a browse window showing all the software that's installed. Highlight Internet Explorer then click the "Remove" button.
To Re-install it you could go to Microsoft's website ("Microsoft.com") but it would be easier to follow this link: http://www.freedownloadhq.com. After downloading just follow the instructions. You may need to go to microsoft's website afterward to get the latest service packs, but when you download them their installation is pretty automatic.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob

Last edited by BobHammer; 06-22-05 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Left out instructions for downloading IE.
Old 06-28-05, 09:41 AM
Dubya
Visiting Guest
Hey BobHammer,
I found your website FreeDownload.com isn't free at all. They're asking for a one-time fee or an annual fee to download IE.
Is anything free anymore?

Old 06-28-05, 10:33 AM
P
msie

I got a tip to fix msie; the details are on my home pc but basically you re-register your dlls by typing in a command and hitting enter.
I'll try to remember to post the command when I'm at my machine.

Old 06-28-05, 12:05 PM
B
Dubya:

Sorry about that. The last time I used them they were free (I think). But you are correct. They do charge now. I just thought it would be more straight-forward that trying to use MS' download site. Thanks for straightening me out! Is anything free anymore? If you look really really hard enough you can find a few things. ZDNet's got a lot of good stuff. Some of it is "trialware" - ie., try for free before you buy.

Bob