Outlook Express

Old 06-30-05, 02:27 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlook Express

All of a sudden, if I try to click on a link from an e mail in Outlook Express, it will not take me to that site and I have to go and end the program as basically I am frozen at that point. Never have had that problem before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Howard

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-05, 06:38 PM
R
Uninstall Outlook Express and install another email client. Outloook Express is poorly written and is an embarassment to Microsoft.

If you insist on using this inferior product (when there are many other better alternatives available) then reinstall it.

Old 07-01-05, 03:12 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by racraft
Uninstall Outlook Express and install another email client. Outloook Express is poorly written and is an embarassment to Microsoft.

If you insist on using this inferior product (when there are many other better alternatives available) then reinstall it.
Once again, an answer that is of no help to anyone. Instead of personal opinions maybe some onstructive options are in order!

Outlook although not a wonderful product is no better or worse than some others. The real issue with outlook is that it has been the source of attack by virus writers. These attacks are aimed at outlook due to the huge number of people using that program allowing the virus bunch to have the largest impact on the most people.

There are options out there if you want to install another email program, not because Outlook is such a terrible program, but to protect you from a virus. Your symptoms might be due to a virus from opening an infected attachment.

Some options you can look into, and I have tried all of these and they are capable programs are:

Pocomail
The Bat
Eudora (free light version)
Mozilla Thunderbird (free)

There are others but these are ones I have tried and they all worked fine and some are free. Most will import your Outlook mail and address books to the change over is painless. The advantage is a reduced risk of virus.

Remember make sure you have antivirus and current updates installed and running all the time even with these alternative programs and do not open attachments.

You can try to rebuild outlook but from your symptoms it might be difficult especially if you have a virus. Sometimes a total system reload is necessary to fix those problems. Search the microsoft knowledge base and perhaps find a way to repair your outlook.

Good Luck!:

Old 07-01-05, 03:35 AM
C
Thank you for your suggestions. Think I got it fixed after running Spy Bot and rebooting system.

Howard

Old 07-01-05, 05:01 AM
R
PCkid, I told him to reinstall the product. That was my advice. You obviously didn't completely read my post.

As for your other comment, there is a big difference between Outlook and Outlook Express. Outlook Express is bad software. Outlook is good software.

Both of those programs (and they are completely different programs, they share no code base whatsoever) are vulnerable to attacks based on how they are used. I am not discussing that aspect of those programs or any programs. Instead, I am describing the programs based on how well they perform, how well they are written, and their propensity to crash.