sfc

Old 07-04-05, 01:29 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
sfc

I am trying to understand the safe file checker. So far it seems you run or command sfc.exe and type sfc /scannow in the space-is it run or command?
If the file is not in the dll cache folder(I read this), the program will prompt you to insert the xp disk-correct-?
How should I then navigate the disk to locate a missing file assuming I don't know the name? In other words, what are the steps I should follow? Please advise in somewhat easy terms as I am not that techy.
Thank you for your help.

Old 07-05-05, 11:36 AM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
here's an excelent article on sfc:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Old 07-05-05, 12:06 PM
P
sfc

Thank you very much for the comprehensive referral re: sfc. Unfortunately I am not that techy so will have to try it step by step to see how things work out. I have never used the cd so did not know what to expect in case it was necessary. Are the prompts somewhat straight forward?

Old 07-05-05, 01:31 PM
C
It is straightforward. In a command window, type sfc /scannow. This will spawn the operation. If needed, the cd will be requested in a window that opens. Once the cd is inserted, the operation will proceed in a normal fashion. Once the operation is finished, the progress window will close and the command window will show a command prompt.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-05-05, 01:43 PM
P
sfc

Originally Posted by chfite
It is straightforward. In a command window, type sfc /scannow. This will spawn the operation. If needed, the cd will be requested in a window that opens. Once the cd is inserted, the operation will proceed in a normal fashion. Once the operation is finished, the progress window will close and the command window will show a command prompt.

Hope this helps.
Greatly, and thanx a lot-May I ask before I try it out?- I was told to 'run' sfc /scannow; is that the same as command? I know how to do both I just don't know if it makes a difference. When the cd finishes and you say it shows a prompt, is it as simple as 'ok' -I want to be able to getout of the program w/o a problem. Once again, thank you.

Old 07-05-05, 01:59 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Are you having a problem you hope this might fix? If not leave well enough alone, don't run it just for something to do. If so, post the problem, we can determine if SFC will help.

Old 07-05-05, 03:14 PM
P
sfc

I got a trojan and clicked remove rather than quarantine so by error I lost a file.
It is true that I do not appear to have a problem at this time, however, it would be reassuring to know how to run the sfc program if a problem occured.
I learned years ago to heed the axiom about not fixing things that.....
I am not going to run it at this time and appreciate the help I have received to date-it is in my folder of 'how to' for reference if necessary.

Old 07-05-05, 05:30 PM
tae
simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

It is very straightforward. You should not have any problems.

Old 07-05-05, 07:47 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Check out the log for your A/V scanner and see if you can determine what file(s) were deleted.

Old 07-06-05, 03:57 AM
P
sfc

The only log Mcafee appears to keep is the quarantined items.
Last night I went to run my adaware program and got an error maessage that a file was lost or corrupted so the program was frozen. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and the file is retrieved.
Perhaps this was where the problem occured.
I'll think twice before I click once the next time. I always wrote the names of error messages down but really goofed this time-so far so good. Btw, if you know of a log Mcafee has for virus /file history, I'd be happy to be informed. It is the Mcafee a/v ver 9. It boasts of an active shield but I would guess it didn't do its job catching this trojan. Thanks again- I feel I now have ample information to run sfc if the occasion calls for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: