computer assembly/ide/hard drive problems

Old 07-07-05, 04:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
computer assembly/ide/hard drive problems

My buddy gave me a computer from his works trash pile. His work tends to throw out perfectly good stuff instead of troubleshooting them.

ANyhow, understandably, he couldn't give me the hard drive, so it's a complete computer minus the hard drive.

The computer is an ibm p4 2.8 ghz machine

I've got an extra 30 gig hard drive. I used a windows 98 boot disk to fire it up and fdisked the hard drive, set up a primary partition, then set it up as active, etc.

I'm running into a couple of problems.

First question is, on the mobo, is the blue ide slot for the hard drive? When I plug the ide cable into the blue slot (different correct blue end ide cables, so cable is not the issue) the hard drive won't sping, nothing, completely dead. So, I take the hard drive, connect it to the other ide slot, then the cd rom to the blue port, and the hard drive fires up, clicks, and is recognized. The cd rom will work from the startup disk. the cd rom will NOT boot to automatically, however, when fired up cold from the blue slot.

anyhow, I fdisked the hard drive, then tried the format c:, wouldn't work no matter if I tried it from the a: or d: or c:

then, I booted up the floppy startup, went into d: typed setup.exe, which fired the cd rom up, and it went through it's check, and came back that windows needs xxxxxxx amount of space to work. WTF? I set the whole partition up that should work, and windows me should just start up and format it. (I'll be doing an xp upgrade on it)

so what's going on? Are the ide cables wrong? Possibly bad mobo? bad startup disk perhaps? Why can't I format, why is the windows cd giving me that error? thanks much! Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 05:21 PM
As far as the cableing goes - make sure the hard drive is on the primary IDE controller and is set to master. CDROM can be set as slave on the same cable or
master or slave on the secondary IDE controller. Tour MOBO should have the
controllers marked as to which is primary and secondary. HTH

Old 07-07-05, 05:48 PM
W
There usually is some type of silkscreen printing on the MOBO to let you know which IDE port is Number1 and which is Number2.

I would suggest you connect only the hard-drive (disconnect the CDROM), remove the "master/slave" jumper altogether, and then go into your BIOS and let it autodetect on both channels. Let us know what the results are.

Old 07-07-05, 05:51 PM
W
One other thought - was that 30G hard-drive ever formatted with NTFS or EXT2 (linux)? If so, it might require some partition magic.

If you can't get the 'puter working, I'll gladly take it off your hands for cost of shipping - pretty good spec's for a free box.

Old 07-07-05, 06:20 PM
J
I'm pretty stoked, I'm currently running a p3 450, so I'll be very happy to update. I'm gonna dump the crappy me, and my buddy is coming over sat with a good copy and boot disks for xp, (this hard drive was indeed partitioned for ntfs xp before). he's a network/computer tech, and is gonna bring up some good formatting programs too, so I have hope that we'll bring it up this weekend. I'll let you all know, thanks.