Occilating CPU Usage % ?!?

Old 07-12-05, 07:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Occilating CPU Usage % ?!?

Running windows XP office on my HP pavillion desktop. Pc is pretty clean--I use Spybot Search and Destroy and Norton Internet Securty--but has been a little sluggish. I get the internet through a DSL modem. I checked your FAQs (very helpful) and followed some of the suggestions. Here's what I found that's weird: In the Task Manager with no programs running, the CPU usage percentage went back and forth from 12% to 96% in an almost rythmic pattern. Any idea what would cause that? Total physical memory was about 222,000 and available was in the 40s (I'm at work right now and don't remember the exact numbers).

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-05, 10:52 AM
A
Task manager does not indicate ALL running programs. Go to Start--->Run---> and type in "msconfig" in the box and click OK. Click the tab to the farthest right (forget what it's called). These are all the programs that launch at startup. Disable them all, reboot and check your CPU usage meter again.

If you still get the same thing, try booting into Safe Mode (F8 at startup) and try again.

Old 07-12-05, 12:04 PM
S
Yes, there were no applications running at the time, but there were 36 "proccesses"--sorry, I should have made that more clear.

I already disabled most of the startup tasks (per suggestion in FAQs). I didn't realize the computer would still operate normally if I disabled all. I will try it this afternoon and let you know how it went.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Samanthasmom; 07-12-05 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 10:00 AM
A
Your computer should operate fine with all startup programs turned off but NOT system processes. Just want to make that clear .

Obviously, you're going to lose some functionality, but it is OK for troubleshooting purposes.