LCD monitor question

Old 07-20-05, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LCD monitor question

I have an HP LCD monitor. It turns itself off and cannot be turned back on without disconnecting the power on the monitor and waiting for about 5 minutes at a time before it's able to be turned on again. It's as if it's overheating. Sometimes it will last for awhile, then other times it only lasts about 5 minutes before cutting off. Should I just get another monitor or is this something that's common or fixable?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-05, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could be the power supply for the back lighting going bad. They are sometimes repairable. I recently had my Htachi 17" repaired. The power supply went out and it wouldn't turn on. Hitachi didn't have any parts available so the company that repaired it had to build a power supply for it. Cost me about $100.00 and it works great.

Monitors are getting pretty cheap now, though...you may be better off just replacing it, unless it's a really good one that would be worth repairing.

Old 07-23-05, 11:20 AM
Nilt
Visiting Guest
It certainly does sound like a wonky power supply. It could also be the power supply is overheating due to environmental issues. Is that one of the units that has an extrnal power supply or is it all internal? If external, check the brick part and see how warm it is. If it's internal check the back of the unit and see how warm it is.

These things will sometimes build up heat if they're in a restricted airflow situation. I've seen a couple of them do it when they were mounted in a recess a client put in a wall just for them. Poor guy put all this work into making them flush in the wall behind his desk and then had to redo a lot of it.