file missing corrupted

Old 07-21-05, 01:40 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
file missing corrupted

I have win xp sp2 + a while ago got a trojan + inadvertantly deleted it instead of quarantining it. When I ran adaware it said 'file missing or corrupted' so I removed adaware and reinstalled it. it appeared to work for a week then I got the same message. I removed it again and downloaded M.S. beta version of anti spyware which I use with spybot + Mcafee virus scan etc.
Question is- I am only an avrerage pc user-should I try to run system file checker to see if I recover or replace a file or leave well enough alone? The fact that adaware gave that message confuses me as to what to do.
Anyway, thank you for your help.

Last edited by peterr; 07-22-05 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 06:32 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the exact message? does it mention a file name? is it the adaware file? Are you SURE you got rid of the trojan?

Old 07-22-05, 05:13 AM
P
file

Originally Posted by tae
What is the exact message? does it mention a file name? is it the adaware file? Are you SURE you got rid of the trojan?
The message when I went to run adaware was, "A file may be missing or corrupt-unable to perform scan."
I have run Mcafee, Windows spyware and spybot and there is no indication of a trojan. It "appears" to be the adaware file when I download but I am not qualified to determine that. Thank you for the response.

Old 07-22-05, 11:14 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's a file for adaware, then running system file checker won't do you any good, as it only checks windows system files.

Old 07-23-05, 05:38 AM
P
file

I understand-all is stable right now so if it ain't broke......
Thanx again.

Old 07-23-05, 10:14 AM
Nilt
Visiting Guest
This type of thing even after an uninstall, then reinstall usually indicates you've got something specifially attacking AdAware. These can be rather tricky to find but I'd suggest you clean boot your computer with the steps in this link. Keep in mind this will disable your AV software and any firewalls, so it should only be used temporarily.

It should get rid of whatever's attacking AdAware and allow you to get a decent install and scan. It's best to download both the latest install for AdAware and the latest definition file (they have a zipped download at AdAware's webpage) before doing this then disconnect from the Net. That way you shouldn't have any major issues with anything else coming in while you're unprotected.

If you need specifics on how to get the new definitions in while offline, post and I'll type some up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: