Log on internet but nothing comes through

Old 07-26-05, 09:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Log on internet but nothing comes through

Hello. A friend gave me an older computer, a Creative brand, with Pentium (r), 32 MB RAM, Win. 95, V.90 PCI Windows modem. I tried to get on the internet with it using the MSN isp I already have for my regular computer and got a window that said I was connected but all I saw was the desktop with the icons and taskbar, etc. like you see when you first start your computer, but nothing from the internet. What's wrong? Thanks in advance. John Ritchie

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-05, 10:09 AM
W
Possible that the scripts needed by MSN to launch your regular portal page do not work in Win95 (using . scripting languages such as .ASP or .NET or PHP which weren't in wide use back in '95's heydey). Did you try manually starting an Internet Explorer session and point it at a website (for instance, www.amazon.com)?

How did you connect? Was there a "dial up modem" shortcut that you double clicked? If so, that would get you to the internet but wouldn't automatically launch a webpage or portal.

Old 07-26-05, 08:20 PM
J
To Winjer, I tried connecting going through Internet Explorer first like you suggested and it worked. Thanks a lot. John Ritchie