Making Lables

Old 07-26-05, 03:55 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Making Lables

How do I make 30 different lables on 1 sheet?
avery 5160
word or excel

Thanks for your help
Rick

Old 07-27-05, 02:17 AM
R
Hi Rick,

I'm not real up to speed on the Word program and labels. About the most I ever do is make one label, or a sheet of the same label, but I think what you would have to do to accomplish your goal is to use the Mail Merge function.

Play around with that and see if it works for you. Maybe someone else who knows will post some more pointers for you.

Good luck.

Randy

Old 07-27-05, 05:17 AM
N
I've haven't done it before, but I was able to set it up in Word in just a few minutes without a lot of trouble. I'll see if I can walk you through the steps.

1. In Word, click Tools then Mail Merge
2. A Mail Merge Helper window will appear where you select "Create" which is step 1 in this window.
3. In the pull down box under "Create", select "Mailing Labels" then select "Active Window.
4. Then click Get Data then click "Address Book"
5. Follow the instructions in the box for setting up main document and label size.
6. Click Merge and Word should create the document in the format to print the lables.

When you set up the main document, you will have to select the fields that you want to print. After the document is created, you can then edit it before it is printed. If the addresses that you want to print are not in your Outlook address book, it gives directions for creating a new data source.

I hope this helps you get started.
Nashcat

Old 07-27-05, 11:28 AM
C
Spend some time on Avery's website. I believe they have some software that makes it easier to do this in MS Word. I'm not sure whether or not it is free.

BTW: Word Perfect does this EASY. It's always blown my mind how hard MS Word makes it.

Old 07-27-05, 03:18 PM
Making Lables

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but you get a blank sheet of labels

Using Word:
Tools>Letters & mailing>Envelopes & labels>Labels
Select Labels>select Avery 5160>OK>New document

This should give you the blank 30 label sheet.

You can create a label wirh text or with graphics. Each can be different or you can copy and paste labels. You can also print out labels and leave used positions from previously used partial sheets blank.

To make a label with graphics, go to a blank label positio. Inset>text box. Click inside the box to get another box. Move the second box out of the first. Select or highlight the first box and hit delete. Move the second box where you want it. For text, just type. For graphics, click inside the box and Insert>Picture> select picture source.

For mixed text and graphics or multiple graphics image(s) in one label, create a second text box(s) in the label.

To copy the label you just created, highlight the label (not the row!), Edit>Copy then place curser in the label position you want to copy to and paste. This will give you another label.

You can also highlight and copy rows of labels, but you will be adding blank rows to the end of the label document. You can remove these by highlighting the undesired rows and going to Table>Delete>Rows.

I hope this is what you were trying to do.

Dick

Old 07-27-05, 06:44 PM
B
I have used MS Word a number of times to create labels and to be honest every time I do it I forget exactly all of the steps and usually have to go to Help to find the answers. I personally think it's more complicated than it has to be. Basically, if you are creating labels for a number of different people you have to create a database first, then use the wizard to create the label format you want, then import the names and addresses you created. I would try what another reader suggested and get a copy of Avery's software. It's probably easier than MS Word. I had a periodic problem with MS Word also. Once I got a form that worked (ie., labels printed) sometime later, even though I used it a number of times suddenly it wouldn't work properly. Also, if you go to PlanetCDROM, they have at least one label program. I have a copy, but have yet to use it. All of their stuff is "free". You just pay an inflated S&H fee of $5.95. But it's usually good stuff - a lot of it is overstock and outdated software. Here's the link.

planetcdrom.com

Bob

Old 07-27-05, 08:58 PM
C
Actually, if you want to try out another word processor, download openoffice.org and use its word processor. I was able to get a blank sheet of Avery 5160 labels in under a minute, ready to be typed up.

Openoffice.org is open source, FREE software. Good stuff!

Old 07-28-05, 06:05 PM
R
Thanks All

I followed Dick's directions, very good Dick
the only thing I needed to do was set up my borders so I could see all the Labels on the sheet.

thanks to every one, you all had great advice

Rick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: