Old Computer

Old 07-28-05, 07:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Computer

I have a computer that is 7 years old and lately freezes up and gets messages saying resources low.I have a new computer coming.Is there any worth in the old computer or should I just toss it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-05, 12:01 AM
D
old computer

start removing junk files and run your spyware programs for a start, that should help with low resourses ! Also defrag your hard drive !

Old 07-29-05, 07:35 AM
Roadkilll
Visiting Guest
If the computer has all the original parts (no upgrade) from 7 years ago, as a whole is it a paperweight. Much like an old car, it is more useful in parts. Find out what the specs are on each part (CPU, hard drive, graphic card, etc) and see what they are selling for on sites like e-bay. Or do what I did and make an FTP server for your home.

Roadkilll

Old 07-29-05, 07:37 PM
W
Don't throw it away yet

Sure, it's easy just to FDISK and reformat and then throw the thing out, BUT...

If you don't itemize your deductions, give it to someone who does (hint: anyone paying a mortgage would qualify) so that they can take it down to goodwill or have the Kidney Foundation come get it.

Even a 12 year old computer running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 can suddenly become a "Pentium III with 16MB/AGP Nvidia, 256M RAM, 10G HD, CD-R, WinME" computer when it comes to tax time -- that's $100 deduction right there, without the CRT.

Old 07-29-05, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by winjer
Sure, it's easy just to FDISK and reformat and then throw the thing out, BUT...

If you don't itemize your deductions, give it to someone who does (hint: anyone paying a mortgage would qualify) so that they can take it down to goodwill or have the Kidney Foundation come get it.

Even a 12 year old computer running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 can suddenly become a "Pentium III with 16MB/AGP Nvidia, 256M RAM, 10G HD, CD-R, WinME" computer when it comes to tax time -- that's $100 deduction right there, without the CRT.
Bump! Take it somewhere like the Salvation Army if they want it or ask around at church or somewhere to see if there are less fortunate kids that may want a comuputer. I know my first computer was a junker, the mouse wouldn't even work on it but hegh, I had fun with it. Just do a clean reformat, re-install and give it to some kids that do good in school but there family is low-income, they would appreciate it more then the trash would.

Old 08-01-05, 12:06 PM
C
Before you throw it out or give it away, WIPE the hard drive first. No telling how much personal data is on that thing after seven years. In the wrong hands, you could be an identity theft victom.

Here's a free program that will wipe your hard drive.

There's a BIG difference in formatting and wiping. Formatting a hard drive is like ripping the table of contents out of a boot. The data is still there, it's just not as easy to find (but no challenge to anyone who knows what they are doing). Wiping the hard drive entails overwriting the data so that it is not retrieveable. (A loose analogy would be taking a black permanant marker and blacking out EVERY word in a book.)

Old 08-04-05, 01:12 PM
for the hard drive, use a utility that actually writes strings of 1s and 0s over the ENTIRE surface, and have it repeat at least 3 times. This will take several hours, but you should be able to "set and forget."

Strictly speaking, you have to be a little careful about giving away software (even OS) with a computer. If you're still using it on the new system (even when you upgrade) you risk putting the new owner in a position of having "bootleg" software. (Some EULAs even prohibit transfer, but that's unenforceable and to my knowledge never has been.) However, most companies make exceptions for non-profits.

Don't know about the SA (can be pretty picky at times), but you might look for a charity that ships to 3rd-world countries - old computers can be gold to them. I use one called World Care but I don't think they've expanded beyond Tucson.

If you do trash it, please don't put it in the landfill - those old circuit boards and CRTs have a lot of bad stuff (like cadmium) in them. Call the hazardous waste folks in your city - they usually have a special drop for handling electronic equipment.