Curious IE Prompt!

Old 08-17-05, 10:32 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Curious IE Prompt!

My mom has asked me to help her with a curious occurance she's been experiencing when opening up her IE browser. Upon loading a box appears prompting to choose a 'skins file'. It can be clicked away but it always appears when IE is first opened up. (My dad has an account on the same computer with no such occurance.)

I saw it myself and could make no sense of it, it gave no option but to choose a default -which was done to no effect, as it continues to appear. I've never known a skin file associated with IE, never encountered it before.

I set her up with Firefox (with the IE veiwer add on), but she still needs IE for certain sites she goes to.

At this point more than an annoyance it's getting me pissed. and perplexed and Frustrated! ...as only those small glitches can do.

Old 08-17-05, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EGreen
My mom has asked me to help her with a curious occurance she's been experiencing when opening up her IE browser. Upon loading a box appears prompting to choose a 'skins file'. It can be clicked away but it always appears when IE is first opened up. (My dad has an account on the same computer with no such occurance.)

I saw it myself and could make no sense of it, it gave no option but to choose a default -which was done to no effect, as it continues to appear. I've never known a skin file associated with IE, never encountered it before.

I set her up with Firefox (with the IE veiwer add on), but she still needs IE for certain sites she goes to.

At this point more than an annoyance it's getting me pissed. and perplexed and Frustrated! ...as only those small glitches can do.
sound like a spyware
run a spyware tool and a spam software
sound like a infected registry

Old 08-17-05, 12:35 PM
C
Look in you add remove programs for something like Internet Explorer Toolbar Wallpaper. Looks like MS did have this program that allowed skins for IE. Perhaps it was put on her machine long ago and was forgotten. Then recently something broke the settings and now the prompt comes up.

Here's a page from Microsoft that mentions this program. You will need to scroll down a ways.

If she does have this program, reinstalling it or perhaps just simply unistalling it would be worth a shot.

Old 08-17-05, 01:14 PM
E
Thanks for your speedy responses. I checked for spyware, downloaded and ran the three I use on mine (Microsoft,AD-Aware, Spybot) If it is, it's not being detected and would seem a pretty benign program.

This has been happening for awhile now, and here is nothing else suggestive of infection.

Also, I'm at a disadvantage here as I'm not at her computer, but it's less than a year old and I strongly doubt she ever intentionally downloaded a program to change the IE wallpaper - she's just a very basic user. That said I'll have her take a look for such a program in add/remove that might have eluded my notice.

Last edited by EGreen; 08-18-05 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 02:54 PM
tae
my guess is it's spyware, and if you could post a log using "hijack this" we could tell you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: