can't update back up file

Old 08-20-05, 06:16 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can't update back up file

A while back, I made a backup copy of various records I have on microsoft word, works, etc. I copied records on to a CD-R disc. I want to now update the records by writing to the disc with updated records....I'm getting message that disc is write-protected..and I can't add to it...HELP

Old 08-20-05, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 55 Posts
You can't RE-write (i.e. write over an existing file with different/newer data) on a CD-R disk. You'll need a CD-RW or burn them into a different directory on the disk. You could put your back-ups in a folder using, for instance, the date of the back-up. The disk will then accept the folder even with a duplicate file name, bacause it will essentially be in a sub-directory.

Old 08-20-05, 10:10 AM
tae
Track at Once - Gives you the option to close the cd permanently or leave it open for a later session

Don't Finalize Session - Not finalizing a session allows you to put more files on later, but it cannot be read by another cd drive other than your burner.

Finalize Session - Finalizing a session but not finalizing a cd will allow you to add more sessions later, and allow you to read it in a drive other than your buner.

Finalize CD - Once the cd is finalized, you cannot add additional files.

Disc at Once - complete Cd is written at once and no data can be added later.

Old 08-20-05, 01:07 PM
B
Either use a CD-RW or buy a spindle of 50 blank CD-Rs and use a new CD-R for each back-up. You can often find a spindle of 50 on sale pretty cheap.

Use the CD-RW for intermediate back-ups and a CD-R for regular back-ups. If you update a file several times a week, write a CD-R once a week.

Use a soft-tip marker (NOT a ball point pen) and date each CD for easy reference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: