NTFS file sytem......grrrr

Old 08-28-05, 10:43 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
NTFS file sytem......grrrr

I bought a new hard drive and W/XP... made a dumb mistake and started loading XP, before I loaded w/98, as it was an upgrade that I bought . Now I have a NTFS file sytem left on there. I've tried FDISK, formatting thru w/xp.. nothing works.. Anyone got any tips on getting that hard drive back to fat 32.. No msdos commands seem to work either. thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-05, 11:13 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
Fixed it.......now....1 more question

I got the file system squared up thru W/XP.... added the hard drive to the pc, and then fixed it using disk manager.. NOW. I was using a 6 gig HD, to do this.With XP on it.. Now I wanna swap drives and re-install XP, on the BIGGER hard drive. 80 G. Will I have problems with Microsoft...on getting this operating system to register again ?

Old 08-28-05, 03:02 PM
You DO NOT need to install 98 first to install XP Upgrade, just boot off the XP CD and do the install (I highly recommend using NTFS), setup will tell you there's no qualifying OS to upgrade, swap in your 98 CD and follow the directions.

If you can't activate over the internet, just use the toll free number to activate and explain what happened, shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-28-05, 03:16 PM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks alot. I just got done fixing the hard drive and loaded w/98..So I assume the hard drive will get converted back to the new file system ?

Old 08-28-05, 03:23 PM
XP will not convert it unless you tell it too, when it gets to the point where it asks which partition you want to install to, just delete the existing partition and create a new one, it will use NTFS as the new file system.

Old 08-29-05, 09:26 AM
Microsoft should not give you any grief about reinstalling. I reinstalled 3 times in one day without a problem from the folks there. The telephone call is a brief affair. The computer has a tad of trouble understanding callers from my culturally isolated region.