Please Help w/Printer

Old 09-06-05, 02:12 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Please Help w/Printer

Hi All,
I just removed a busted Cannon printer & uninstalled it's software. Now, I am trying to install a used (but it was working!) Lexmark X73 printer/scanner/copier. The old Cannon printer was connected with a big "printer" cable, but the new printer uses a USB cable, which I plugged into a unused USB socket on the back of the computer.
Using the plug & play installation I am unable to get the computer to recognize that a new hardware device has been installed; it's like it doesn't even see it. I tried to manually install the new printer using it's two discs, but that seems to stall about halfway through. I then have to restart the computer.
I am running Window's XP, by the way. I am also a rank amateur with computers, so go easy on me, please.

Please help! My wife is breathing down my neck to get this thing working

Old 09-06-05, 04:24 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
did you install it in the right order? printers can be super finicky during installation if the steps are not done in the right order.
http://www.lexmark.com/publications/...73/ensetup.pdf

Old 09-06-05, 04:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have other USB devices installed that are working properly?

Old 09-06-05, 05:57 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Well, I found the problem. There was a wad of jammed papers deep inside the works which prevented the printer from initializing properly. After I removed those papers, everything installed smoothly.
I did discover that both the color and black cartridges need replacement.
I spent 4 hours installing this &^$(*printer today, so I guess I'm the knucklehead!
Thank you all for your help...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: