Upgrading computer from dialup to faster service

Old 09-12-05, 07:27 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Upgrading computer from dialup to faster service

I have a 6 old Emachine. It is a dial-up and I want to get faster,better internet connection. What components will I need to upgrade? Do I start over with all new equipment or can I upgrade my existing unit. New processer or ???? What is the easiest and cheapest way to go? Thank you,Kegler

Old 09-12-05, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by kegler
I have a 6 old Emachine. It is a dial-up and I want to get faster,better internet connection. What components will I need to upgrade? Do I start over with all new equipment or can I upgrade my existing unit. New processer or ???? What is the easiest and cheapest way to go? Thank you,Kegler
same thing i said on your other post, get cable internet and a new computer

Old 09-12-05, 07:59 AM
R
A new computer is certainly in order.

What you choose for a connection is up to you. DSL, fiber optic, cable, power line and satellite connections are all available, depending on where you live. They each have their pros and cons, and some are more expensive than others. Choose based on speed, price, and your own personal preference.

Old 09-12-05, 04:48 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I would disagree with the need for a new PC here, sure it would be nice, but not necessary. 6 yrs old puts it at 1999, which means it likely has Windows ME (don't get me started on that) which means it's more than capable of adequate performance with a broadband internet connection.

Old 09-12-05, 06:54 PM
B
You will need an ethernet card to connect to the DSL, cable, or satellite modems. I doubt if your pc had that connection.

You will also want to get as much RAM as your machine can handle.

Since you will always be on-line now, it is imperative you get a good firewall and good anti-virus. Keep the A/V up-to-date. This means semi-weekly updates. Daily if a virus is in the news.

The websites for the various services you are considering have the minimum and recommended specs. The minimum is barely enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: