Run A Website Off My Home Computer

Old 09-21-05, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Run A Website Off My Home Computer

I Was woundering how i could run a website off my home computer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-05, 09:01 AM
chevyastro4x4,

Are you wanting to have a web site or use a web hosting site?

Or are you wanting to acquire a "server" to be a web site?

Old 09-21-05, 09:06 AM
i want to have a website but i dont want to have to pay for someone to host it

Old 09-21-05, 09:13 AM
chevyastro4x4,

I am not that familiar on how that works but my assumption is that you would need a server. I'm sure tae or chifte can address those issues with much more clairty than I.

Honestly paying for a web hosting services is relatively inexpensive. I use Network Solutions which offers much. Been using them for 5 years

Take a look - http://www.networksolutions.com/web-hosting/index.jhtml

Hope this helps!

Old 09-21-05, 10:12 AM
J
Anybody can host their own website. Take a look hereIt is more expensive and only works when you are running your computer, but it can be done quite easily.Don't try to install the stuff individually install the package.

Old 09-21-05, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by joneq
Anybody can host their own website. Take a look hereIt is more expensive and only works when you are running your computer, but it can be done quite easily.Don't try to install the stuff individually install the package.

hey thanks

Old 09-21-05, 10:48 AM
J
No prob. If you plan on having a database make sure to look at that whole page. You will need to do some downloading and configuring to secure it.

Old 09-21-05, 11:11 AM
R
Most ISPs will not allow a home user to run any type of server through their Internet connection. While you could probably get away with something accessed minimally, something accessed heavily will eventually catch their eye and they will either want you to pay business based rates or they will dump you. They could take you to court for violation of your agreement, but that would be an extreme.

Trying to run a server on a dynamic IP address is also challenging. You need to run software that will automatically send your IP address (periodically, and whenever it changes) to one of many hosting sites so that the IP address is constantly available through a URL. Alternately the software could automatically post the IP address somewhere so that someone could look it up to know where your server is.

Finally there is the bandwidth issue. Web servers are generally placed on machines designed just for that purpose. Those machines are fast, have plenty of memory available, and have very high speed connection, in both directions. Most home ISP connections are geared towards transferring data from the Internet faster, while allowing much slower upload speeds. To effectively run a server you would want this speed reversed.

Old 09-21-05, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Most ISPs will not allow a home user to run any type of server through their Internet connection. While you could probably get away with something accessed minimally, something accessed heavily will eventually catch their eye and they will either want you to pay business based rates or they will dump you. They could take you to court for violation of your agreement, but that would be an extreme.

Trying to run a server on a dynamic IP address is also challenging. You need to run software that will automatically send your IP address (periodically, and whenever it changes) to one of many hosting sites so that the IP address is constantly available through a URL. Alternately the software could automatically post the IP address somewhere so that someone could look it up to know where your server is.

Finally there is the bandwidth issue. Web servers are generally placed on machines designed just for that purpose. Those machines are fast, have plenty of memory available, and have very high speed connection, in both directions. Most home ISP connections are geared towards transferring data from the Internet faster, while allowing much slower upload speeds. To effectively run a server you would want this speed reversed.
the computer i will be useing a dell sever, and i have a 200kb/s unload speed

Old 09-21-05, 11:46 AM
J
If he asked if it was a good idea or if it was legal[some dsl providers =ok]I would have said no. He just wanted to know how to do it.

"I Was woundering how i could run a website off my home computer?"

I don't think that upload speed is going to cut it. I just checked mine and it is almost 900 upload.

Look at something like this if it is just your site.The free plans are good errr great or you can buy one.

I don't know why you need a server any computer can do that. If you are looking to host other people look into a resellers plan.

Your idea sounds good but when you really think about it it is a bad idea.Sorry.

Last edited by joneq; 09-21-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 02:28 PM
G
Running all these services to host a web page on your home computer also opens up new avenues for people to break into your network.

Old 09-21-05, 08:54 PM
W
www.no-ip.com

Free service that will act as a domain name translating service for your website - open a (FREE) account and put in your public IP (look at your broadband router settings and copy the IP from the WAN-side connection).

They even have a script program that will monitor your WAN IP (for cases where your ISP is assigning it dynamically) and update your account automatically whenever it changes.

The only drawback is, your website URL will look like this :

http://yourwebsitename.no-ip.com (or .net or .org, whatever you want).

For a one time fee of $12.95 they will translate aliases so that you can access your website by using plain old www.yourwebsitename.no-ip.com.

Next you need to map your server's Local Network IP on your router so that it will correctly resolve PAT (port address translation) for incoming requests on port 80 (HTTP). IOW, now you are hosting a website on your computer, so other computers will make requests to your port :80 -- you just need to tell your router where to send these requests when they come in.

Highly recommend using Apache webserver because it is one of the best and it is free.

If you use a lot of graphics, like streaming video, FTP, or some other high bandwidth function, people are going to be frustrated with your servers ability to serve up pages (because of low upload speeds for non-commercial ISP accounts). Doing it "for free" works best for minimal graphic/ text based websites serving up simple format HTML pages.

Good luck - btw what's your project for?

Old 09-21-05, 09:01 PM
W
Forgot to add

using the FREE plan on www.no-ip.com will translate your domain name even if your domain name is not registered with one of the public registrars.

A registered domain name will cost you an annual fee and there are many companies and plans for doing this (no-ip also offers to register your domain name).

However, I've used this method for months with an unregistered domain name and it continues to work until someone comes along and takes my domain name and registers it - at that point I'd be out of luck.

Still, if your project is for a non-profit or just a hobby, there's really no reason to pay to register your domain name in the public domain -- just pick a really unusual name that noone would ever want to use.

Old 09-21-05, 09:07 PM
J
Sounds like winjer is the man. joneq will listen and learn. Good info.

Old 09-22-05, 05:27 AM
ya im just doing this for the fun

Old 09-29-05, 06:14 AM
GhostD
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry, I must of missed who your ISP is. Most ISPs in the United States provide FREE personal webspace for their subscribers to use.

Additionally, most ISPs in the United States frown on its consumer-subscribers using their consumer broadband Internet connections with servers, physical or in software form. And yes, many ISPs have closed their subscriber accounts because of violations relating to AUP (Acceptable-Use Policy) & TOS (Terms Of Service).

Anyway, if this is for 'fun' as you say there were several FREE webhosting websites that usually offer the hosting for free, but reserve the top/bottom strip of the webpage for advertising.

Now, if this is for 'fun' and you are not using this for business I wonder how is it you are using a 'Dell server'.

Old 09-29-05, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by GhostD
I'm sorry, I must of missed who your ISP is. Most ISPs in the United States provide FREE personal webspace for their subscribers to use.

Additionally, most ISPs in the United States frown on its consumer-subscribers using their consumer broadband Internet connections with servers, physical or in software form. And yes, many ISPs have closed their subscriber accounts because of violations relating to AUP (Acceptable-Use Policy) & TOS (Terms Of Service).

Anyway, if this is for 'fun' as you say there were several FREE webhosting websites that usually offer the hosting for free, but reserve the top/bottom strip of the webpage for advertising.

Now, if this is for 'fun' and you are not using this for business I wonder how is it you are using a 'Dell server'.
ya im just going to use it for my use and my friends, its not im going to make a website everyone will know and go to, there will be only a couple of people. the dell server i got off of ebay for $300 its old but it does what i need

Old 09-29-05, 10:05 PM
tae
do you want a full site, or just wanting to share files and programs? a simple ftp server would work in that case.

Old 09-30-05, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by tae
do you want a full site, or just wanting to share files and programs? a simple ftp server would work in that case.
ya like a ftp server

Old 09-30-05, 02:46 PM
tae
I've always used serv-u or bulletproof ftp server. simple and easy to setup and install. I think most ftp programs are though. A quick search showed several free ones that would probably be ok.
you could use a free service like no ip com(http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html) to keep your web addy always the same.

Old 09-30-05, 10:44 PM
hey thanks i like that bulletproof, real easy to use, just what i was looking for!!

Old 10-01-05, 04:06 AM
GhostD
Visiting Guest
Keep in mind that your upstream bandwidth will be your limiting factor. Any large files, pictures, etc. being pulled from a webpage or via FTP will be at the mercy of the upstream bandwdith.

For instance, if one had a 1.5x256 DSL service then the 256 kbps upstream is the maximum someone else will be able to download, whether that be webpage content, FTP, etc.

About a year ago 1and1 had a nice freebie offer when they entered the USA market in their webhosting business. They offered, for FREE, three year accounts on their professional plan. I'm still using them, for free. I registered a couple of domains there (something like $5.99 each). No banner ads, but a nice place to store pcitures I frequently use in forum discussions.