Start up problem and file missing (Thanks in advance)

Old 09-26-05, 05:15 AM
cwharb
Visiting Guest
Start up problem and file missing (Thanks in advance)

I got a call this morning from a friend. He said his computer went on the blink this weekend and he wants me to look at it. I say Ok no problem (he is bringing it over tonight for me to check out)

Here is what he says is going on. When he turns the computer on it starts to boot up then it gives him an error that says it is missing a .sys file and it will not go any further. He has tried to fix this problem by reinserting his Windows XP start up disk but he said the computer will not read the disk.

Now depending on what the .sys file is can it be simply replaced ?

If the .sys file can not be replaced can I take his hard drive out of his computer, place it in my computer as a slave drive, then use Norton Ghost to make a back up copy of his computer files onto a spare harddrive I have? Then I will format his harddrive, reload windows, now comes the tricky part, Would I be able to move all the programs and files back to his newly formated C drive and have the files and programs work with no problems ? Or will this screw up the regristry ?

----------Note------------ He has no back ups of his files and he has never had Norton Ghost on his computer before -------------End Note------------

Now I ask this, but I have not seen his system yet to see whats up "offically" so any thoughts would be great.

If my idea is out of wack let me know. I would hate to be barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks again.
Curtis

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 08:21 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Find out what file is missing and put it back. No need to do anything you suggested, although making his computer read the Windows XP CD would certainly be the easiest method you suggested.

Old 09-26-05, 11:09 AM
D
Cant you boot off of the XP CD and do a repair? You would need the administrator account and password.

Old 09-26-05, 03:10 PM
See my answers inline

Now depending on what the .sys file is can it be simply replaced ?

** Maybe, maybe not. Missing files are usually the result of a problem elsewhere, such as OS corruption, viri or spyware, a bad hard drive, or bad RAM.

If the .sys file can not be replaced can I take his hard drive out of his computer, place it in my computer as a slave drive, then use Norton Ghost to make a back up copy of his computer files onto a spare harddrive I have? Then I will format his harddrive, reload windows, now comes the tricky part, Would I be able to move all the programs and files back to his newly formated C drive and have the files and programs work with no problems ? Or will this screw up the regristry ?

** Norton Ghost makes a complete image of a partiton or drive, if you use ghost to back up the non functioning drive, format and reload the drive (assuming the drives not bad) to get it up and running, as soon as you use ghost to restore the backup you made, it'll overwrite your fresh functional install with the non functioning image you made and you'll be back with the non bootable situation your at now, Ghost backs up EVERTHING, including corruption, if it didn't boot before the image, it's not going to boot after it's restored.