Cannot write to floppy drive

Old 10-01-05, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cannot write to floppy drive

I cannot write to my floppy (A drive. Yes, I've checked to make sure disk itself is unlocked - to no avail. I have even changed out (bought ) new drive to replace- nothing.

I downloaded latest Bios from internet as well,- again, nothing. Anything else for me to try, other than reformatting hard drive?

Regards, Brew

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-05, 07:26 PM
BSB
What error message do you get? Are you able to see the A: drive in windows explorer? Is the floppy enabled in the bios? Did you check floppy drive in device manager? Is this a new problem, or the first time the system had a floppy drive installed?

Brian

Old 10-01-05, 10:58 PM
if your old floppy was working at one point, and now you dont have one.

couple of things also to keep in mind,

I have ran across a bad cable before, might try new cable, did you also try different power connector ?

are yuo getting green light or light on the floppy unit when you put a disk into it ?

check these out before reformat,

did u check device settings also?

sporty

Old 10-02-05, 05:44 AM
I can read from the drive; but cannot write or delete files from; yes, light does come on. Message I receive when trying to write to drive is as follows:

Cannot copy ' ', the disk is write protected. Remove write protection or use another disk.

As I said before, I have made sure disk is set to unlocked and have used other disks.

I have not checked bios settings, although I have downloaded latest setings from intel. Silly question; how do I enter my Bios in XP? In Windows 2000, I remember I was hitting 'F2' key upon startup, but apparently it's different in XP?

Old 10-02-05, 07:17 AM
ok, I was able to get into Bios; I reset the Write protection to 'disable'; now I'm up and running as desired. Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Brew

Old 10-02-05, 07:19 AM
BSB
Entering the bios should be the same. have to keep trying until it lets you in.

Have you tried uninstalling the drive from within windows and then re-installing it? For some reason I want to think that the bios would allow you to enable write protection for the floppy. But I didn't think they were doing that any more.

Other bios entering keys to try in case they changed it on ya, F10, Del. we have a few systems at work that I am still unsure of which is bios key, just keep hitting f2,f10 and del until it lets me in.

brian