windows me slows down

Old 10-04-05, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
windows me slows down

We have a pc which has had windows me installed but now it runs ok for a while then slows down -is this a simple fix?
regards mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 06:04 AM
R
Simple? Yes. Upgrade or Downgrade to a different OS. Windows MyEnemy is an abomination and an embarrassment to Microsoft. ANY 32 bit version of Windows is better than Windows MyEnemy

Old 10-04-05, 08:18 AM
M
mbenavente
Visiting Guest
Windows ME

ME is the absolute worst OS ever produced. It's the last of the FAT32 partitions. I recommend XP because I am currently beta testing Windows Vista which is awesome, possibly the best OS produced, and can only upgrade from XP.

Old 10-04-05, 09:54 AM
So is there no way to help Mike other than dumping the OS and getting a new one? Maybe he could try a "fix" before spending the money for XP.

Personally, I use XP on my 2 main computers, but I have Windows ME on a 3rd computer and it runs fine.

Old 10-04-05, 10:10 AM
S
Did you try the system utilities? Disk Clean up, delete cookies and other uneeded internet files, defrag(which does not alway work too good on ME). If you can afford the ugrade, which I finally did, you will have a lot less trouble but there are things you can try first.

Old 10-04-05, 02:28 PM
tae
you also have to look at how full is the hard drive, how much memory does it have, what programs are loading at startup, which antivirus program you use, and how is it setup, and are you running adware/scumware scans?

Old 10-04-05, 06:44 PM
This problem occurs in all versions of Windows and the cause can be many different things, low hard drive space, virus's, spyware, too many programs running at startup (which equals low system resources), a defective hard drive, bad RAM, overheating, a bad CD drive, problems with hardware drivers, incorrect Windows settings (such as the swap file), or general Windows or software corruption. It's hard to provide a useful answer with the limited info in the OP

Old 10-05-05, 06:43 AM
R
Yes, all versions of Windows have this problem. This is why it becomes necessary to eventually reformat the hard drive and start over, even with Windows XP

However, Windows MyEnemy runs into this problem more quickly than any other OS that Microsoft has ever introduced.

The reasons for this are plentiful. Microsoft pushed many of the new features eventually destined for XP into My Enemy. However, MyEnemy was not new, but rather is based on Windows 98 (a very good OS), causing problems. Microsoft essentially overloaded MyEnemy giving it more than it would handle. Further, they rushed it out before it;s time.

This was compounded by many vendors not having drivers ready for their hardware to work with MyEnemy. This caused the vendors to rush their drivers out. Many settled for just enough work on the drivers to make them work, without fully realizing the impact to the OS of the drivers. Adding several different components together causes th drivers problems.

Bottom line. Microsoft never should have released MyEnemy. Users with MyEnemy should abandon it as quickly as possible. Completely abandon it. Don't upgrade, rather reformat and then install another OS, preferably XP, but even downgrading to 98 is better than remaining with MyEnemy.

Old 10-05-05, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Bottom line. Microsoft never should have released MyEnemy. Users with MyEnemy should abandon it as quickly as possible. Completely abandon it. Don't upgrade, rather reformat and then install another OS, preferably XP, but even downgrading to 98 is better than remaining with MyEnemy.
I would agree with this 110%

Old 10-10-05, 01:16 AM
N
I usually stay out of discussions about operating systems, but I feel that I have to add my two cents worth to this one. I'm running ME on my desktop with a 1.2 AMD TBird processor and 512 memory, and after doing a little research and tweaking, it runs just fine. I haven't reinstalled in over 2 years, and leave it running 24/7. On the other hand, I have a laptop, running XP, with a 1.8 P4 processor, also with 512 memory, and even after tweaking it as much as I can, XP seems to be as slow as molasses in winter. XP always seems like it wants to tell me what to do, instead of doing what I want, when I want. Like I said, my two cents worth. Flame suit on.

Nashcat

Old 10-21-05, 06:28 AM
I
Take a look at this link: <a href="http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html">Running Windows ME Well</A>
I was running ME on one of my machines and used the tips and I was pleased with its performance.

Ichabod

Old 11-02-05, 11:46 AM
T
I set up my parents P2 350 with WinMe several years ago and they have had no problems with it. I also ran WinMe for years with no problems, in my experience it has been better than 95, 98, or 98se in terms of features and stability.

For your case click start -> run and type in msconfig
go to the "startup" tab and de-select everything unless you recognize it and must have it on startup.
Then download and run LavaSoft AdAware
There is also the MS anti-spyware which is pretty good but I am not sure if it works on WinMe.

That is pretty much my standard operating procedure on just about every computer I help friends fix and it works quite well.