DOS Question

Old 10-05-05, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOS Question

I was told I need to copy my OS to the hard drive using dos. I do not know how. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Old 10-05-05, 05:48 PM
D
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If your running Windows 95 or above you can't just copy it from DOS, DOS has no support for long file names, thus any file (including Windows system files) would be truncated to 8 characters, thus Windows wouldn't function after the copy.

Let's start from scratch, what's the problem and what are you trying to accomplish?

Old 10-05-05, 05:54 PM
I am re-installing a copy of windows 98. I have tried 3 different win 98 disks and it keeps saying something about the CAB files. I spoke to my bro-inlaw who is in IT, he told me to copy the disk onto the computer using dos. I don't know any DOS commands. I have reformatted the computer so there is no OS now. The computer had password set on the Content Advisor and we had no way to find out what the password was. Other Bro-inlaw bought the computer (he is at the other end of the IT spectrum). Friend he bought the computer from according to him said he had not set the Content Advisor Password. Totally Crazy!! I just need to copy Win98 to the computer.

Old 10-05-05, 06:00 PM
R
You cannot copy an OS using DOS. You are either leaving off part of what was said or someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

Does this computer have a CD drive? Will it boot from the CD drive? Do you have Windows 98 on CD? Do you have a version of DOS on floppy disk? How are you booting the computer now?

Tell us what you have, maybe we can help.

Old 10-05-05, 06:00 PM
D
Are you getting an error when you try to run the 98 setup from the CD? We can get you through copying the cabs to the hard drive and running setup from there, but it's easier to run setup from the CD and copy the cabs afterwards.

Can you boot off of the 98 CD to a command prompt with CD support or do you have a 98 boot floppy with CD Rom support? You'll need one of these two methods to work before you can copy the Cabs.

Old 10-05-05, 07:46 PM
S
the cab files

What his bro-inlaw is referring to is copying the \win98 directory from the install CD to the hdd and running setup from the copy on the hdd. It is pretty common especially when one is imaging large numbers of systems and it's a hassle to dig out a CD every time a printer is installed afterward. It has the advantage of leaving the system knowing where the cab files are located so it won't ask for the install CD every time you install said printer (or something else). The install usually goes a little faster but of course that is offset by the time taken to copy the cab files over so speedwise it's probably a wash.

The process is usually to format the hdd and install the system files.
Copy over \win98 and contents from the CD.
Reboot (to ensure you've started from the hdd - not a floppy or CD).
Run setup from the \win98 dir on the hdd.

Be aware that _sometimes_ when using this method 98 will have trouble finding the CD drive (which is an improvement over 95 which would never find it). Resolving that involves adding a real mode CD driver (config.sys & autoexec.bat) for one boot cycle after which windows will always know about the drive. That isn't always an easy process for a novice though.

Old 10-06-05, 05:20 AM
D
I know what he's trying to accomplish, just trying to get the full story as to what exactly he is doing and what problems he is having.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: