pc wont run

Old 10-12-05, 05:18 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pc wont run

HI i have a amd pc while is was useing the pc it suddenly shut off no warning no smoke no smell and it would not start so i replaced the power supply now it turns on and runs for maybe 10 seconds and shuts off.i have to unplug it for a minute then it will start and run for 10 sec or so and shut off i dont know if the old power supplytook out something else.any ideas Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-05, 07:27 PM
tae
check the fan on the processor first.

Old 10-12-05, 07:38 PM
V
Thanks for reply the pro fan works its a bit noisy can a fan that maybe not turning fast enough cause it to shut down prosessor dosnt fell hot it only runs for a few seconds thanks

Old 10-13-05, 05:05 AM
You've ruled out the power supply, however many possibilities remain, motherboard, CPU, RAM, even an adapter card like a NIC or modem could cause these symptoms.

Old 10-13-05, 08:06 AM
Ya Sounds Like A Short Somewhere, if you have to plug the power supply for a min. then the power supply was shut down completey, and had to reset.

Old 10-13-05, 05:26 PM
PC Won't Run

What type of processor do you have? If it is an AMD processor and motherboard, the CPU fan speed is monitored and the system will shut down if it is too slow. Also an AMD CPU will overheat quickly if the CPU fan is not working right and the board has overheat protection and will shut down as well. ASUS motherboards have a monitoring shutdown circuits that will shut the system down in a few seconds if any of the above problems exist.

AMD boards usually have a hardware monitor in the BIOS that lets you see CPU temps and fan speed.

If it is in Intel board all of the above doe not apply.

Old 10-13-05, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by PCkid
What type of processor do you have? If it is an AMD processor and motherboard, the CPU fan speed is monitored and the system will shut down if it is too slow.
This is a blanket statement and does not apply to the majority of AMD motherboards on the market. If your motherboard supports it and your running the monitoring software, or the BIOS supports auto shutdown, then it applies. And it also applies to Intel based motherboards as well. Intels are much better at self preservation than AMD's are.

Old 10-13-05, 07:24 PM
V
HI thanks for relpy it is a AMD prosessor i removed all cards and disconected all drives and still it will only run for a few seconds the pro dosent get hot but then it only runs for a few seconds if the prosessor shut down because of heat wouldit not take at least a minute or so to heat up .it dosent run long enough to get to the bios settings ...thanks

Old 10-13-05, 07:31 PM
Remove the processor and RAM from the motherboard and then try it, if it still powers on and then off, you have a bad motherboard, if it doesn't, you have a bad CPU.

Old 10-14-05, 01:22 AM
R
Your cpu could be bad, but your symptoms are those of a cpu getting too hot, which maybe due to lack of thermal paste compound between the cpu and the heatsink. I have seen this happen and it does not take long for the cpu to heat up and shut the system down...sometimes only a few seconds.

Do you know if it currently has the thermal paste or the thermal wax pad installed?

It might be worth a shot to apply some Arctic Silver 5 to the cpu and see if it helps. You're going to need to get some anyway if your cpu is bad and you have to replace it with a new one. That is, if you decide to DIY.

Randy

Old 10-14-05, 03:16 AM
Talking PC wont run

Originally Posted by Davejb
This is a blanket statement and does not apply to the majority of AMD motherboards on the market. If your motherboard supports it and your running the monitoring software, or the BIOS supports auto shutdown, then it applies. And it also applies to Intel based motherboards as well. Intels are much better at self preservation than AMD's are.
I disagree. I work on high end AMD motheroard systems every day at a major national reseller and only the $20.00 motherboards are lacking overheat and fan speed protection.

With my clients I rarely see boards without that protection. So your blanket statement obviously relates to your hardware experiences, not to mine!

Old 10-14-05, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 39 Posts
This might sound like coming from left field, but have you checked/replaced the cmos battery?

Old 10-14-05, 09:09 AM
A
The AMD motherboards I've bought for the last several years have had overheat and fan speed protection built into the BIOS. I've been building AMD systems since the AMD DX4 100.

However, I'm pretty sure Intel mobos come with this functionality too. It's not a function of the CPU, it's a function of the chipset/BIOS.

Old 10-16-05, 10:04 AM
V
removed ram and cpu and it didnt shut down does that 100% point to the cpu i removed the heatsink looks like there was thermal paste on there but not much do you think it might help to add some Thanks

Old 10-16-05, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by vulch
removed ram and cpu and it didnt shut down does that 100% point to the cpu i removed the heatsink looks like there was thermal paste on there but not much do you think it might help to add some Thanks
While you have the CPU out I would make sure the fins on the CPU heatsink are not clogged with dust and the same with the fan. Also if your motherboard does have monitoring your fan could look ok but be running at a fraction of the speed causing either a shutdown due to fan speed or CPU overheating. The fan should spin easily and not make noise.

I would clean the top of the CPU and bottom of heat sink with Alcohol and put new thermal compound on it. Also try reseating all the boards plugged into the motherboard and reseat ram module(s). Do you see any markings on the motherboard that tell model or manufacturer? A model number might help us look it up and see if it has monitor circuits or not.

Old 10-16-05, 07:11 PM
V
HI thanks for reply when the pc first shut down it was very dusty so i blew it out completly maybe thats reason for shut down the model is k7S6A i did try another fan from my other pc no change i think the mobo has over heat protection in the bios you could select different temp setting .when i run the pc with out cpu in it sounds different than when the cpu is out the cpu seems to sort of make a sizzel sound but no smoke or smell maybe thats normal .

Old 10-17-05, 02:43 AM
PC Shuts Down

Yes your MB does have hardware monitor. I did some research on this MB and saw some reports like yours. One thing several people said that this board was picky about the power supply and you wanted at least a 420 watt supply for stability.

A couple of other issues. Where is your CPU fan pluged in. Is it plugged into the fan connector at the end of the board near the ram modules? There are two fan connectors and that one must be used. What wattage is the power supply you have connected? Is this board being overclocked to get higher performance from the CPU? If you dont know and dont have a manual do a google serach for K7S6a manual and you will find the download source for the manual showing and explaining all jumpers.

You might try resetting CMOS by moving the cmos battery jumper and then turning on the system. Turn it back off and place jumper in normal position and try it again after a moment of silence.

As for thermal compound many poeple use fancy artic silver etc. I use plain old white thermal compound from local electronics retailer and it works fine as long as you are not overclocking. Don't put it on too thick, just a thin film will do but make sure both the CPU and Heattsink are clean before putting on new compound.

If none of this works I am out of suggestions. It is possible the MB has just failed. You might try another CPU if you could find one to try but I have rarely seen AMP CPU failures unless they were badly overheated and ususally you will see burn spots around som pins on the bottom of the CPU. If you see that then your CPU is fried.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-05, 06:08 AM
A
vulch, put all your components back in, power up, enter your system CMOS (BIOS), and arrow over to the option that says "PC Health Status".

If possible, let your computer warm up for 10 or 15 minutes. Write down all the values that are listed. This screen will tell you whether your voltage rails, system temps, and fan speeds are all in line. If your computer shuts down before it gets a chance to warm up fully, you may be able to tell what is going on by observing how the values changed right before the system shut down (i.e. CPU temperature rises rapidly).

Post the values you wrote down here.

Old 10-17-05, 11:03 AM
A
Aegis
Visiting Guest
You mentioned you swapped the hsf from another computer, with no change...does that other computer have a compatible processor as well? If so, you might try swapping the cpus...perhaps the safe way would be to try running the suspect cpu in your other machine to see if it works; that might tell you beyond a doubt whether it's the proc or not. If it does run, for verification that it is most likely a mobo problem, you can try running the proc from your other machine in the problem machine...

Old 10-17-05, 01:01 PM
T
tazrob
Visiting Guest
power supply

make sure your wattage is enough for your system

Old 10-17-05, 02:49 PM
V
HI thanks all for replys update put old cpu in a new mobo i've had for a few months now it runs will boot up can get to bios cpu temp is about 38 c fan speed 5000 rpm BUT now i get a stop error saying inaccessable boot device..where do i go from here PS i hate computers.

Old 10-17-05, 07:32 PM
A
Aegis
Visiting Guest
That's not necessarily a bad sign; read up on Windows NT/2000/XP's boot.ini file...I'm really rusty on the whole NT boot process, but, assuming it's not an actual hardware problem, I think it can be corrected by changing a line in the boot.ini file on the system drive.

Old 10-19-05, 04:47 PM
V
HI all update replaced mobo and formated hd install xp and workin fine not sure what happened ..Thanks to all who helped...