NAVand firewall ?

Old 10-25-05, 06:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NAV and firewall ?

Greetings. I have NAV 2005 and 2003 personal firewall. Both definitions are ending 11/05/05. I want to wait and get the latest versions when they become free after rebate to upgraders. With the definitions expiring does that mean I just can't use live update, but I can still download definitions from their site, Or will I not be able to download definitions at all.

I know how they hog resources but I have never had any problem with either one. I am toying with installing AVG and Zone Alarm,but definitely like auto updates--even once a week. Thanks

Last edited by joneq; 10-25-05 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-05, 09:06 AM
A
No new definitions, but live update should work fine for all of your other Symantec programs.

BTW, I have AVG, and it updates every day automatically. No reason to pay for a program like NAV, IMO.

Old 10-26-05, 09:36 AM
J
Avg free has auto update? I will go that route if it does. I thought it was only the paid version. I heard there ware problems completely uninstalling NAV. I don't need any. What do you have for firewall --Zone Alarm.

Live update won't work for the firewall either you must pay like $15. for a year of definitions.I am not talking about live update but manually downloading the new files and installing them

So unless I pay the money the AV and firewall are virtually useless without new definitions right.

Do you have any idea of the resources NAV and Per firewall use vs avg and zonealarm. I see a lot of symantec stuff running.

Sorry for all the questions

Old 10-27-05, 05:58 AM
A
I used to use NAV, but I just didn't see the point in paying for a new subscription when I could get AVG for free, and, by all accounts, it's just as good as NAV (some might say it's better). AVG even has email filters built in, so your outgoing and incoming email are covered, too.

Right now, I'm just using Windows XPs built-in firewall. Seems to have worked fine for me so far.

I can't speak for the firewall, but NAV will still continue to function, you just won't be protected from any new viruses that have been introduced since your last virus definition update.

One of the big problems I had with Symantec products were that they were big resource hogs. I haven't done any empirical tests, but running AVG just FEELS lighter, you know what I mean?

One caveat is that it is not QUITE as user friendly as NAV. You might have to do a bit of configuring. Nothing major, though.

Old 10-28-05, 04:06 PM
J
Had composed a reply before, but shut down before posting it. I have spent some time looking around and decided to get the Zonealarm internet security suite. Reg $70 free after rebate at buy.com.[exp 12/31/05 since I already have NAV. I will send them my NAV 2003 disk if I have to and keep the 2005 in case I want to get the NAV 2006 for free after rebate later this year.

Even if I don't use it I still have it for free.

I hope I don't have any problems uninstalling the Norton products so as to avoid any conflicts .ANY TIPS PLEASE!!!!!

Of the free antivirus software I would have gone with antivir product,but no email scanning. Then Avast then AVG. The antivir pro version is only $24 USD. Not too bad and an exellent product. I think.

If you spend enugh time looking you will find a reason not to get one or the other. That is what I did. I found the least negatives with the antivir,but need that email scanning. The other 2 are equal.

In my travels I came across this site and spent a lot of time there. Picked up that Process Tamer for free and it is working nicely.Loads of exellent freware there, and in the links

Old 10-28-05, 04:54 PM
R
I have uninstalled Norton in the past and what I have done is after uninstalling, either through the Add/Remove Programs or the uninstall file in the Norton directory, I went into the registry, did a search for Norton and deleted any and all entries that came up.

It's best to make a backup of your registry first and put it into your C root drive, just in case. You can always delete it later after you're convinced everything is OK. Also wouldn't hurt to make a restore point before uninstalling.

I've never had any problems.

Old 10-28-05, 05:25 PM
A
joneq, I can't speak on the other two you mentioned, but trust me when I say that you will not be disappointed if you decide to go with AVG. Has email scanning too.

Regarding re-installing NAV: I try to do a complete reformat/reinstall at least once a year, and I found that you could re-install NAV and get another full year subscription, like rcash54 said.

Old 10-28-05, 05:34 PM
R
Um Dave,

Getting "another full year subscription" from Symantec for your NAV is called stealing. Please don't recommend illegal activity here.

Old 10-29-05, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Um Dave,

Getting "another full year subscription" from Symantec for your NAV is called stealing. Please don't recommend illegal activity here.
Although software piracy is illegal in this case Symantec would have closed this loophole if they felt it was a problem. They are not idiots and I am certain they know this goes on and they have chosen not to stop this practice.

They could simply log the serial number of your program when you do live updates. Then when the time expires if you reload and try to update again they they could check their logs and still disable you. Several commercial software packages do just this.

Last edited by PCkid; 10-29-05 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-29-05, 06:44 PM
R
PCkid, Thank you for editing your post. I see you realized your mistake without my having to point it out to you.

The fact is that Symantec now does prevent this abuse. The newer versions of NAV will only allow a single use. You have to call them if you reformat your hard drive and start over, if their software thinks it's a different system.

While I have no problem with people getting their full year of updates that they paid for, I do have a problem with people getting more than that. I work for a software company (not Symantec and not Microsoft). Software companies (big and small) make money on support services. This is especially true when the software costs very little (sometimes even is free) to begin with. If no one paid for the updates, then there would be no money to provide those updates.

Old 10-30-05, 01:58 AM
R
Just for the record, it was not my intent in my reply above to suggest anything illegal.

I was simply making a suggestion to Joneq's concern that just uninstallling NAV may leave behind file fragments that may conflict with other programs, and removing all occurences of norton from the registry is one way that I have found to alleviate that situation.

Old 10-31-05, 06:37 AM
A
Fair enough racraft, but I know very few people who would voluntarily send their money to Symantec for a new subscription if they had merely stumbled upon this particular "quirk".

Norton would have never gotten any money from me, at any rate - I would have switched to a free program before renewing my sub.

Old 11-05-05, 10:10 AM
J
Have to do the dreaded uninstall of NAV 2003 and 05 +2003 firewall today. Not looking forward to it. I have dnlded to desktop all the removal tools that I think I will need. I will be installing EZ ARMOUR anti virus +firewall from comp associates. Free from my isp. Gets good reviews.

Does it make a difference if I install the firewall or the antivirus first. I have the windows firewall in case I need it [which I will turn off of course]. Thanks.

About the zonealarm suite. I don't know if it is good or bad now. Some rave reviews as the best suite ---some have problems. They use E-Trust from CA as the anti virus ,but update the definitions themselves, Their firewall is probably better though and if the antivir comes from the same place how much different can it be[except for the updates].

The good thing is if I don't like what I put on it should not be too difficult to remove and change. I am dredding removing the Norton symantes software. I hope It all goes smoothly.

I have a number of firewall and antivir [free and free trial] downloaded so if one fails due to problems with existing remnants I can try another.

Last edited by joneq; 11-05-05 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 03:25 PM
tae
I will be installing EZ ARMOUR anti virus +firewall from comp associates. Free from my isp. Gets good reviews.
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/Default.aspx
free for everyone. I use it, and have been happy with it.

usually uninstalling a good working copy of norton isn't a problem.

Old 11-05-05, 04:11 PM
B
bink

Get rid of NAV. I had used it for years but had some trouble with it, lately. I went to AVG and is very please with it. It does eveything, I want and more.

Old 11-07-05, 08:09 AM
J
Well every thing went smooth as silk. Did the uninstall + ran all their removal tools just in case. I must say though I have not noticed much of a difference in speed[at all] And the ad blocking is no where as effective as the Nortons. I had no idea there were so many adds on this site. I am thinking they should maybe pay some of the moderators,at least after a certain amount of time. Just an observation----No pm's please.

Just got the Zonealarm from Buy.com today. Will be sending off those rebates right away. Just saw it is now free in compusa I think

Old 11-08-05, 02:21 AM
M
Wink Nav

Originally Posted by joneq
Well every thing went smooth as silk. Did the uninstall + ran all their removal tools just in case. I must say though I have not noticed much of a difference in speed[at all] And the ad blocking is no where as effective as the Nortons. I had no idea there were so many adds on this site. I am thinking they should maybe pay some of the moderators,at least after a certain amount of time. Just an observation----No pm's please.

Just got the Zonealarm from Buy.com today. Will be sending off those rebates right away. Just saw it is now free in compusa I think
You might want to try an altenate browser to IE. I have experimented with Firefox, Maxthon, and Opera, all free with great popup blocking. I rarely see any popups on Opera which is my choice today.

Old 11-08-05, 06:20 AM
J
Have maxthon and would not even consider anything else[have the others too] Maybe I am just used to it, but what more could you want. I never had to use any of the ad hunter features with Norton it did a tremendous job. I have enabled most of the ad blocking features in Maxthon and it is working. I will be adding some back 1 by 1 so I just block what I want to block. Thanks.