Internet Explorer Doesn't Work

Old 10-27-05, 10:14 AM
C
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Internet Explorer Doesn't Work

I'm having a problem with IE...it doesn't open any page. I can go to a DOS window and successfully ping, say, Yahoo or Google, but I can't get either (or anything else) to open in IE. I don't get an error message, it just doesn't load.

I'm running Windows XP. I've re-set all IE options to their defaults. I've turned-off the Windows firewall and AVG. This is a new problem associated with changing from a wireless connection to a direct connection (DSL). There are no other computers conected to the DLS line. I've deleted all other broadband connections in Network Connections in Control Panel. As I said, I can ping, but not connect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From Internet Explorer
-Tools Menu
-Internet Options
-Connections Settings

Check to see what is there if anything. Internet explorer can use seperate settings from your PCs network settings. Also do/did you use a proxy server for accessing the internet?

Old 10-27-05, 10:21 AM
C
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
I'll check when I get home tonight and let you know.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 10-27-05, 11:01 AM
A
You said a page does not load, does the IE browser open at all?

Old 10-27-05, 11:24 AM
C
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Yes, the browser open just fine. I can get to, for example, Internet Options. I just can't get it to load any page.

Old 10-27-05, 11:31 AM
W
As John indicates, go into the IE Tools-Internet options-Connections and make sure there are no "Dial up or VPN Network Settings" (if there are, remove them unless you actually use a VPN). Make sure that, under the LAN Settings dialog box, "Automatically detect settings" is checked and nothing else on that page is. Make sure that there is no proxy selected. Double check your network settings verify that you no longer have a "wireless" network tab available (if you do, make sure to deselect "let windows manage your wireless connections" or better yet try to uninstall the wireless driver).

The fact that you can PING using URLS (ie... PING www.yahoo.com is successful) means that this is not a DNS issue - which also rules out problems with Network/Port Address Translation through the DSL modem (and your broadband router if you have one).

The fact that you can successfully PING but cannot connect via your browser means that you have connectivity at layers 1 - 3 (Physical medium, Data and Network) but that something is disrupting communications at the layers above that. PING is an IP [Internet Protocol] suite program and does not use protocols above the Network layer. Your browser uses protocols all the way up to the Application Layer [7], such as HTTP.

Normally I would suspect a firewall problem, but you've already eliminated that possibility as far as the software firewall goes.

Thus, I would conclude that the problem is in your IE settings, with the possible exception that a physical firewall is blocking port :80 out or above port(s) :1024 in.

You did not mention if you have a broadband router connected between the DSL cable modem and your computer. If you do, I would check to make sure that broadband router supports the PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) Connection type as this is what most DSL services require (although the fact that you can PING probably means this is not the issue). Also check to make sure you are not blocking any ports.

Note that if you don't have a dedicated broadband router, many of the DSL modems can be configured as a router, but this is not usually in the manual (you need to contact your ISP to determine if they'll supply you the login password to administer the DSL modem yourself).