internet speed

Old 10-28-05, 09:07 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
internet speed

i'm looking at different packages offered for our internet, phone, cable. we have 5.0 mbps right now. we're looking at a different package but the internet speed included in that package is only 384 kbps. How big of a difference would we notice in the speed?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-05, 10:16 AM
A
If you go from 5 mbps to 384 kbps you will surely notice a difference. 384 k is similiar to that socalled "accelerated" netzero internet but slightly faster. You have to realize right now you have 5,000 kbps (1 mb = 1,000 kb actually 1024 kb).

Old 10-28-05, 10:53 AM
A
If you do a lot of downloading of big files, that's where you will notice the speed difference the most. Browsing, not as much, but probably still a noticeable difference.

Old 10-28-05, 06:26 PM
W
5 Mps is smoking

That's like a cable modem on steroids. The local TimeWarner residential plan only goes up to 3Mps. R U cable or DSL?

I share your pain as far as trying to find the best deal combining broadband, cable TV, and phone.

You would think the cable provider would be the most cost effective source for this, right? Since they are the only one that can deliver all three services.

Interestingly, in Charlotte, NC - the cheapest solution is to go with Alltel DSL for $25/month, Time Warner Digital Cable TV for $60/month (they have no competitor here), and Vonage Internet phone for $15/month (unadvertised program with 500 minutes per month). Time Warner wants $150+ to provide the "triple play" and Alltel can't provide the triple play (yet).

I tried Vonage, but Alltels DSL service is so unreliable that it can't be counted on to handle phone (although Alltel's actual phone service never goes out?!?!)

So right now I am stuck paying $60 for cable, $60 for Alltel's land line, and $30 for Alltel's DSL (I will get the lower rate when my contact expires).

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on Time Warner and switch [back] to directTV, and maybe give Vonage another go. I'm getting frustrated paying $150 per month.

Old 10-29-05, 10:47 AM
M
MichaelDavis
Visiting Guest
Comcast cable is 6 megs here.

I'd stick with what you have, there is a big difference and a transition from cable to 384 DSL would be hard.

Old 11-02-05, 09:22 AM
M
we're with time warner also. they are also the only cable company in our city. it sure would be nice to have options. the internet is cable. I guess we'll go ahead and just stick with what we have. i looked into maybe just getting a dish of some sort for the tv instead of doing cable to save some money there but i haven't heard good things about that. thank you for your replies!