blue screen/white letters

Old 10-29-05, 10:26 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
blue screen/white letters

I got this very long message(exact words not written down) that I had a problem with my pc and only "clicking here" would fix it. I did not. Tried evrything to clear the screen and only system restore did clear it.
I ran updated Mcafee scan, spybot and adaware but all ok. Ran sfc then avg still no positive results.
I'm afraid of a securuty breach as that screen did not appear for no reason.
I sent a snapshot of 'hijackthis' to a friend but I doubt his ability to discern trouble.
Is there some 'expert' who I can send such a snapshot to and does this expose my machine even further?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-05, 12:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go here and follow the directions.. it would be nice to know what it said I think. Even in general terms.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Old 10-29-05, 06:50 PM
R
Except for the "click here to fix", this sounds like a blue screen of death. When Microsoft Windows terminates unexpectedly, or crashes, it sometimes puts up a solid blue screen filled with text. The text sometimes describes the problem. The actual words sometimes mean something to the right people, but the majority of people have no idea what it means.

The term blue screen of death, or BSOD as it is commonly abbreviated, came from this being an instance where Windows died.

However, I'm not aware of any "click here to fix" buttons, so it is sounding rather phishy.

Old 10-30-05, 06:09 AM
P
blue screen

I appreciate both responses.
I will look into tom coyote re hijack this.
The screen did look like a M.S. dx message but I'm too unskilled to know.
I might format and reinstall-have to mull things over.
Thank you

Old 10-31-05, 04:37 AM
Are your desktop icons still there? This sounds like a desktop hijacker, basically it replaces your desktop with an image that looks like a BSOD. There are a few different variants, a spyware scan is probably in order.

Old 10-31-05, 08:24 AM
P
blue screen

I ran updated spybot,adawawre, Mcafee virus scan, have spywareblaster and a router. All is working fine. Ran sfc +it's ok. Another forum suggested Windows was ready to crash and I got the bsod-When I did system restore it seemed to 'fix' everything.
I have a question; I have a xp sp1a disc and an sp2 disc. When I insert the sp1a disc to do a repair it prompts that I will lose material which is understandable-I am not good enoughto slipstream or the other auto stream so-Could I perform a repair by doing the sp1a disc first then the sp2 disc? All is running well + I don't want to make a problem but I don't want someone in my pc either.

Old 10-31-05, 07:55 PM
tae
feel free to send me the info.
if it was in a browser window, it sounds like an ad.

Old 11-01-05, 08:30 AM
P
tae

I'm unsure of your reference-if you requested the bsod info there was too much to copy-I read about it and supposedly even experts cannot make heads or tails of the windows #'s and codes.
If your reference was to something else please let me know.

Old 11-01-05, 07:46 PM
tae
there is an ad/scumware that can popup on your screen...it is designed to look like the blue screen of death, but it's not. when you click on it(click here) then you are sent to an url selling spyware removal software or some such.

Old 11-08-05, 10:50 PM
tae
Behavior
Adware.TopAV replaces the Windows wallpaper with a fake virus alert message containing links to topantivirus.biz.

Symptoms
Files are detected as Adware.TopAV.
The Windows wallpaper is replaced by a virus alert message.

Transmission
The adware must be manually installed.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...are.topav.html

Old 11-09-05, 05:10 AM
P
malware

I actually think I got a bogus bsod with the prompt to click which would direct me to the site you referred to. Gotta stay on your toes-thanks Tae.